Marriage Proposal

"Shiksha and I have decided to get married."

Complete silence. All of us looked at Rahul open mouthed.

"Guys, don't act like I came out of closet." He sighs.

"That would be more believable", mom says making everyone laugh.

It was Sunday and everyone were in the living room after late breakfast. All of us were in our own zone when Rahul's statement shocked us.

"You said you didn't want to get married few months earlier" I say.

"I did, but then I realized, I can get settled even if I am married. Being married doesn't stop me from doing that. In fact, I think, us being married will bring us even closer" he says scratching his beard.

"When did our little devil grow up?" dad pretends to wipe his tears off.

"Come on guys, nothing is serious in this house", Rahul says rolling his eyes.

"Should we talk to Shiksha's parents?" Avishek asks.

"Yes, actually, we decided to tell our parents today and have you guys talk if you agree".

Kids these days are so fast.

I knew none of us had any problem. We knew Shiksha since she was little kid. She, Rahul and Payal went to same school. Those two were childhood sweethearts. Shiksha herself was a really nice girl and her parents were very fond of Rahul as well.

So, after talking a while we decided to go her house next week for further talks.

"Also, Payal has some news as well", Rahul elbows his sister.

"What? No, I don't", she glares at him.

"Don't be a coward. Tell them" he pushes her forward.

If she was going to say what I think she is going to say, Avishek is going to blow his lead off.

"Uh, I, um, I kind of want you to meet someone too" she says wringing her hands.

Yep, she was going to say it.

"I have a boyfriend and we want to get married too".

My kids have definitely got their father's bravery. For sure, I am not this brave. I take a peek at my husband and sure enough, the guy looks like he wants to murder someone. Payal is a daddy's girl. Avishek is very possessive over his children. And Payal had never told us about any guy before.

 I knew because I am a mother and mothers have certain detective skills.

"You have a boyfriend?" I can hear Avishek gritting his teeth from across the room.

"Y-yes, he is in my office." My daughter can't even look at her father's face. 

She knows he is going to be mad. Not because he is conservative, but because now his little girl has grown up.

"Why did you never tell us? And how long have you been dating?" mom asks her.

"Um, for 2 years. He transferred to our office and we were on the same team" she seems to be hiding behind her brother.

"And we were thinking" Rahul draws on, "that, uh, me and Payal could get married at the same day".

What?!!

"Absolutely not", I mentally thank Avishek for voicing my thoughts. More than 1 marriage at same day looks good at the movies, but in reality, they are not very practical. It's also not good for my back.

"Why not?" Rahul asks.

 This kid has always been outspoken for his own good.

"I am not getting both of my children married at the same time. And we don't even know who Payal is dating. He could be completely inappropriate for her. I have to talk to him first." Avishek rambles pacing the room.

Mom caught my eyes and we both covered our mouth to stop laughing.

"You will scare him away. Besides, Rahul already met him. He likes him too", Payal defends.

Avishek slowly turns back to Rahul. I can hear Rahul gulping. No one should come between a possessive father and his daughter. Not even his son.

"You met him?" he growls at Rahul.

"Uh, Dad, don't get mad. He is a great guy. You will feel the same once you meet him" he says backing up to stand behind mom's chair. My son is smart.

He looked at his children one by one.

"I am going to have to meet this guy but you two are not getting married at the same day" he decides.

Kids look at their grandparents for help.

Hey, why won't you look at me too? I am your mother. I scowl at them. But then, these kids are smart. They know I won't go against Avishek. Damn it!

"I see no problem you know. You won't have to get tensed about Payal's marriage after Rahul. Besides, she has a guy she wants to marry. What's the harm in it?" dad says.

He stares at them and snaps, "You were not this open minded when I got married. You wouldn't hear no."

Ouch, I look down embarrassed. I thought after this many years, he had accepted his life. Clearly not, if he still blames his parents for this unwanted marriage.

"You knew why you had to marry so young. You also knew why we couldn't say no" mom narrows her eyes at him.

Avishek's grandfather was in critical condition and he wished to see his beloved grandchild's marriage before dying.

I look up to see Avishek pacing the room and kids looking glum. No one in this family knew the reality of our marriage but I knew everyone suspected we were not like others. Mom and dad gave up after first few years of marriage, they tried to push us several times into situations which were supposed to develop feelings, but nothing happened. I guess, they got tired of it after some time. Our kids were quite smart. When they grew up, began to understand the world and understand the love, they suspected their parents weren't like their friends' parents, or any other parents. They think we love other even though we are distant. Nobody here knows that we were merely a stranger to each other.

"Dad, Anil is a nice, guy. Please meet him once. And me and Rahul deciding to get married on the same day, this decision is just us. We haven't asked Shiskha's or Anil's family about it either. We wanted to tell you what we wanted." Payal says holding her dad's hand.

"Please?" I am quite sure she is giving him her big eyes.

He pinches his nose, "One meeting. Just one meeting" he says looking up at the ceiling.