Chapter 2

Every day you rode out into the fields of the estate on your horse. Its name was Garnet because it had the most beautiful brown coat with hints of red.

You were got to the top of a hill and breathed, feeling the wind on your face and marvelling at the view. You heard a horse behind you and turning you saw the colonel.

"Hello again" you said.

"Oh ms (y/n)" he said. "A Suprise to be sure. But a welcomed one"

"What brings you to this part of Dorsetshire?" you ask.

"My estate is just over there" he said pointing in the distance.

"I didn't know you lived so close to Clayton Park" you said, you pointed behind you. "It is just a couple of miles that way"

"What a coincidence" he said.

"Yes" you answered. "I heard your brother had passed. I am sorry" the Colonel looked at you.

"Thank you" he said. "The house is too large for just me" he said "But my sister wishes it to be kept in the family. And in some aspects, I do also."

"Yeah I understand" you said. "Clayton Park is strangely empty now my cousins have departed to London."

"You aren't Mr and Ms Brown's child?" he asked.

"No" you said. "my father and mother died so my uncle and aunt kindly offered for me to stay with them" you explained.

The Colonel nodded. "I know what it is like to lose one we love" he looked out at the view and sighed. He looked sad, his eyes suppressing some kind of emotion which seemed to be threatening to make him cry.

"It is getting dark Colonel. I don't want to be forward, but would you like to come for dinner at Clayton?"

"I would not want to intrude" he said.

"I assure you, you wouldn't" you say.

"Well if you are offering"

"Yes of course" you said smiling.

You turn the horse around and Colonel rode beside you. You talked slightly on the way to Clayton park and soon you got to the road and turned into the drive. Getting down from Garnet you gave her to the stable boy.

"Jason is there space for the Colonel's horse?" you ask.

"Yes mam" he said.

The Colonel go down and gave his horse to the Jason.

"He is named Tobias" he said, putting his hand to its nose and stroking it gently.

"Yes Colonel sir" he said and took them both to the stables.

Colonel Brandon took his hat off and tucked it under his arm, pushing a stray hair from his face.

You opened the door and quickly found your uncle and aunt.

"I brought a guest for dinner" you said.

They raised their eyebrows but smiled as the Colonel popped his head into the room.

"Ms and Mr brown. If you wish me not to stay I am very happy to take my leave". the Colonel said, bowing slightly to your uncle and aunt.

"Oh no, no of course not" your aunt said "you can stay for dinner" 

He smiled and bowed his head, sitting on one of the chairs.

"So where did you find it her? " your uncle asked

"On the hill looking towards the commons" he said. "It has the most stunning view this time of day. On a very good day I am sure you can see the sea"

"Is that so?" you uncle said. "incredible".

"It is" he mused "It is slightly clouded over today however"