(3) Torn apart

Clay didn't question the fact that he wore contact lenses every day. Since he could remember, his mother always used to give him the green lenses in the morning and helping him to get them out of his eyes in the evening. He was forbidden to talk about it with anyone, so he didn't even tell his best friend Nick.

With the time he has gotten older, the curiosity grew aswell, and he asked his parents a lot of times why he had purple eyes and had to wear green contact lenses. But his parents always replied with something like "It's for your own better, stop asking so many questions."
So he didn't.

For some time he thought he secretely was a Pretiosi, with purple eyes and a super power, but he never discovered any power he might have.
He also asked Nick, who knew a lot about the Pretiosi, about the power purple eyes gave, but Nick told him that there weren't any Pretiosi with purple eyes.

So he started to accept that this was just a gene defect and his parents gave him the contact lenses to protect him from stupid questions.

He moved his head when he heard his older brother climbing up the ladder aswell, getting ready for sleep on the mattress on the other side of the room.

What would happen to him if they ran out of money? Cliff was nearly 20 years old, they surely would take him to the front.
Cliff has always been there for Clay, whenever he has been sad or angry, his older brother has had an open heart and a good piece of advice.

"Cliff?"

"Hm?" his older brother mumbled.

"Is it really that bad?"

There were a few seconds of silence.

"Yes." Cliff finally answered. "Very bad."

Clay turned to his other side, staring into the darkness in the direction where his brother's voice came from.

"Is there anything I can do?"

He heard a sigh from the other side of the room. "I know you want to help, Clay, and I'm proud of you for that. But this is more severe than something a 16 year old could handle."

"I'll be 17 in two weeks!" Clay stubbornly replied.

Cliff chuckled. "I know, little brother. The best thing you can do is take care of yourself and get a job as soon as possible. We still have some spare money for the next few weeks."

"What about you?"

"Don't worry about me. I'll be fine. Now get some sleep."

Clay closed his eyes and tried to relax but there were too many thoughts running through his head.

Finally he drifted off into an uncomfortable sleep full of nightmares.

First he was chased by a giant Cheetah, which was of course way faster than he was. But everytime the animal catched up with him, it stopped, giving him a head start, just to start chasing him again.

Then the Cheetah transformed into a human figure with the face of Prince George, his red eyes staring at him. The figure handed him a gun and a military uniform, then spoke with a deep voice, but Clay didn't understand what he said.

Next he was standing outside his family's hut with his mother hugging him in tears and his younger sister crying, while 2 soldiers waited for him.

"Please don't take him to the front, he's my baby, don't take him to the war, please!" His mother sobbed but the soldiers grabbed him at the shoulders and pulled him away.

He tried to get out of the soldier's grip, kicking around, but they were too strong.

Out of the corner of his eye he saw Nick, standing next to his father, waving at him with tears in his eyes.
"Bye, best friend. See you in the afterlife"