The Wedding Day

Rahul and Payal were getting married at same day. Neither Shiksha's nor Anil's family had any opposition to that. Anil was a nice guy. Very humble, quiet, and most importantly makes Payal smile. The marriage was 3 months away.

3 months went in a flash as there were lots of work to be done. Planning marriage is very hard. Me and Avishek, we had a simple wedding, just family as we had to make it quick. But our children's wedding, my goodness, these kids wanted everything. I never worked in my entire life, never had any sense for earning money, but I was getting worried if our finance was getting a hard hit because of these grand schemes. Avishek didn't seem much worried though. He fulfilled everything kids asked for. There were certain times I wanted to stop him, but then didn't have guts to do it. How can you say no to someone with whom you've only talked when the house needed something?

Even though Avishek and I have never had a proper conversation, I knew he was loud guy. He was full of life with his kids and his friends. So, it was a little sad to see him quiet during this marriage. I knew he was sad to his daughter go. They had a very deep bonding, it's obvious he was going to get heartbroken when his daughter wouldn't come home for dinner every-day.

It was the wedding day. You know, marriage is only fun when you go to someone else's. When it is in your house, you will not get a second of peace nor get a seat to catch a breath. All day of running around, I could not see Avishek anywhere. It was time for Payal to go and she wanted to see her dad.

I went in search for him and found him in the backyard of the venue. His shoulders were shaking and looked like he had ripped off all his hair.

"It's almost time. Payal wants to see you before she goes", I say, looking down, not wanting to see him cry.

He nodded and didn't move. Now, see, I am a very awkward person. Whenever I see someone crying, I want to comfort them but then since I am an idiot, I say wrong thing and make the situation even more awkward.

I am grown woman. My children are getting married today. I should know what to say damnit.

I mentally curse at myself before saying, "Anil is a very nice guy. He will keep Payal happy. His parents seem like good people too. They will take care of her. We have raised Payal to be strong woman. She can handle her problems." I realized what I said, and rush to mend it, "Not that she will have a problem. They love each other, they will have a good life together. I know every father feels li- "

"Shut up!" I shut my mouth at this rude tone.

"You have no idea what I feel. You have no idea what any father feels like. Hell, your father was smiling when we got married as if he couldn't wait for you to get out of his house. You didn't even shed a tear. What do you know how it feels when someone so close to your heart goes away?" He looked at me with so much hatred, I felt like I had ruined everything in his life.

You will not cry. You will not cry. You have never cried at harsh words. I chant in my head.

"Avi, come on, Payal is waiting for you" we both look towards the voice. It was his uncle.

Avishek nodded at him and walked away.

I stood rooted on the spot for a long time. I didn't know he hated me too. My eyes welled up remembering his words. This is why you should keep your mouth shut. I regretted trying to say something comforting.

I stood for few more moments, trying to compose myself, and went back. Payal was crying her eyes out hugging her father. Avishek was right, I didn't shed a tear, neither did anyone, they were all happy to finally get rid of their burden. My eyes well up again. I don't know if it was because of the scene in front of me or because of the scene 27 years ago.

Payal had already cried in my arms earlier, so, I didn't mind when she wouldn't let go of her father. Avishek walked her to the car, kissed her head and closed the car door. Payal stuck her head out of the car and waved her hand. I was suddenly reminded of 7 years old little Payal, waving her hand back at me from the window of Avishek's car when he used to take her to school.

God, when did my little girl grow up so much? Now I can never nag at her for waking up late, never snap at her for forgetting to turn off the heat, she will never hug me goodnight every night before going to sleep.

I felt a weight on my shoulder and saw mom resting her head.

"How did she grow up so fast?" she asks.

I held her as she cried, wiping my own tears. After some time, it was time to take Shiksha home. It was the same situation as before. Everyone was crying. I had never related to anyone this much as much I was relating to Shiksha's parents at the moment. After a while, everyone chose the car to go home, Avishek were nowhere to be seem, so I'm assuming he was in different car.

 I quickly made arrangements for rituals for the new bride when we reached home. We did some traditions that were supposed to be done for a new bride, and I sent them to their room. I'm sure they must've been tired. It was a long day. I looked at the mess in the kitchen and I wanted to cry because all I wanted to do was go to sleep for 3 days straight. There were relatives staying at the house though, I had to feed them.

I went to our room, changed into something more comfortable, went back to work.

Just a bit more, then you can sleep. I kept whispering to myself.

I made something simple for mom and dad as they had to take medicines.

Man, relatives were a lot of work. Everyone wanted something different and there was always someone who was completely dissatisfied with everything.

Finally, after what felt like million hours, I decided that enough was enough. I was done. My back ache from bending so much, my feet felt like they were going to give up on me anytime soon and my head hurt from not eating in time.

I left everything as it was and dragged myself back to the room. I saw Avishek standing by the window with his back to me. I had no energy to deal with his moods. I didn't even have energy to change into night clothes. I just went to bed like I was. I was out like a light as soon as my head hit the pillow. 

That's it for today. Please vote and comment if you liked what you read.