Chapter 12

~Romeo's POV The next day~

"You what?" Jack snapped is head back to look at Crutchie.

"I saw Millie last night." He repeated.

"Millie's dead." I told him, heeding what she wanted me to do.

"No she ain't." Crutchie insisted. "She climbed up the fire escape and gave me my hat last night."

"That probably wasn't her." Jack sighed. 

"No, I know it was her." Crutchie said indignantly. "Because I thought it was Elmer at first."

Head went down at the mention of his name.

"Crutchie, I think you was just tired." I started again. "If she was alive she'd be here."

"Maybe not." Crutchie pressed. Groans of grief erupted from the boys in the Lodging House. Crutchie was silenced. I went outside for some air, and soon somebody joined me.

"Not now, Mush." I sighed.

"It ain't Mush." It was Crutchie and he didn't sound happy. 

"Oh, hi." I turned to face him nervously. 

"She ain't dead." He told me firmly.

"I know." I nodded.

"But you just said--" He started.

"I saw her too." I interrupted. "She told me not to tell anyone. And if you said somethin' 'bout it to tell you that you're crazy and she's dead."

"You say her too?" He echoed. "Did she tell you where she is?"

I hesitated.

"Romeo DeJesus (I used the actor's last name because I couldn't find the character's name) tell me right now." Crutchie ordered, eyes pleading.

"She... She said not to tell anyone." I muttered, then perked up. "In fact, she didn't tell me an exact place. So I'm just gonna go right back on inside..."

Crutchie yanked me by the collar of my shirt. I'm just a month older than Millie (and Elmer, I guess) but I'm still seen as one of the baby Newsies.

"Romeo." His sad eyes bore deep into my soul. I shrunk down.

"Don't tell her I told you. And don't tell anyone." I begged. "She said that she's workin' at a bookstore here in Lower Manhattan."

"Great." His face brightened up. "Let's go."

"Wait, Crutchie, no." My eyes widened. "I don't think she wants anyone to see her. Let's give her some time."

"Okay." He stopped.

~Millie's POV a few months later~

It's late afternoon. I was wearing a dark maroon dress with my black hair pinned back. If I hadn't hidden all the mirrors in my room I wouldn't need to guess that I look pitiful. Mrs. Frank told me that I need to take care of myself if I wanted to keep working here. A trusting appearance brings in more customers. I was sipping bitter black tea and squinting against the sunlight streaming from the glass door and windows. The bookstore smells like old books and coffee. It had been a slow day, so I sat behind the counter reading a book. I didn't think to look up when the bell rang. The door has a bell that rings whenever somebody opens it. My head was down, so I didn't see who it was.

"Excuse me, do you know where I can find Emilia Kasprzak?" The voice asked. I didn't really register that I recognized it at first.

"Ma'am, this is a book store." I started, looking up to see who I was talking to. "Not a... Katherine?"