13. the arrow

We had been driving for quite a long time-too long.

My hands gripped so tightly onto the steering wheel that it seemed my knuckles would pop out, the skin turned white around them.

Silence had prevailed, save for the occasional harsh order from the Azgeda man, telling me exactly where I needed to go.

I had tried many a times to figure out a way I could get Clarke and I out of this. Crashing was always an option, but I knew that entailed losing some, if not all, of the fuel and we could not afford to do that. Additionally, I knew Clarke was not secure where she was being kept in the back, any magnitude of a crash could result in injury to her.

I knew by this point that Bellamy and Roan had returned to the beach and noted our very obvious absence. I just hoped they had they sense to realize who was responsible.

"Faster." The man growled as he drove the blade into my neck ever so slightly.

I let out a shaky sigh, looking over to him for a moment before speeding up, sending the truck barrelling through an open field as per his earlier instructions.

I wasn't exactly sure where we were going, but I had a pretty good idea that we were heading straight back to the Ice Nation. Once there, I was sure Clarke and I would be killed, them finding no use for us any longer.

Just as I slowly began to accept that our fate was sealed, something caught my eye through the side mirror.

It was a tiny moving speck at first, moving through the field in a rushed pace. I tried to only look at it briefly, as to not bring attention to it.

Within seconds, the tiny black speck was no longer that, but instead my eyes were able to decipher that it was a vehicle...it was the Rover.

I felt like my heart was going to explode knowing that Bellamy had found us. But despite my flicker of relief, I couldn't help the anxiety that built in my chest, afraid at how this was going to play out.

Quickly, I tried to calm my breathing so the Azgeda guard didn't catch on. And then, ever so slightly, I began to release my foot from the gas, the truck beginning to slow in result.

Apparently, the change in speed was too obvious, as within seconds of the vehicle beginning to slow, the soldier perked up and turned around to glance out the back window. Out of the corner of my eye, I could tell that he had spotted the Rover. He yelled something to his man in the back before spinning back around.

"Keep going!" he ordered, stomping his foot overtop of mine on the gas, sending the truck lurching forward.

My heart was in my throat as I gripped onto the wheel even tighter than before, my eyes darting between the sideview mirror and the field in front of us. 

Upon one of my glances sideways, I noticed that Bellamy had caught up to us, and was now driving parallel to the truck. My eyes widened as I watched Roan shifting around in the passenger seat before disappearing into the back. 

My eyes met with Bellamy's and he did his best to give me a look of reassurance. 

The Azgeda man let out a growl before moving the his sword to the other side of my throat, making it obvious to Bellamy that he was willing to kill me. 

"Now!" Bellamy screamed, turning his head slightly to address Roan, "Do it now!"

Seconds later, I felt the truck sway slightly, the marker that someone had just jumped onto the back of it. Then, I could hear the sound of a commotion, grunts and thuds meeting my ears .

"Avery!" Bellamy yelled, bringing my attention back to him. "Get me a clean shot!"

I nodded, turning forefront once again as Bellamy sped up, the Rover soon out pacing us.