Chapter 39

The rain stumbled across my window, wakening me up from my sleep or so I thought. I turned over my stomach and look outside. The days were passing by slowly but they were and the solar eclipse was at the edge.

"You aren't sleeping properly," Jaqueline said, appearing from nowhere. It wasn't new, she usually came in form of visions to inform me about something or give me news.

Days had passed by since I last went to the castle. I lost count—of everything. I no longer remembered who I was or where I came from. Everything around me made me emotionless.

"I will be fine," I told her. "Is there something new?"

"Yes," she replied, "I wanted you to know that Charlotte's misconduct has been caught. She will be executed for causing chaos and siding with the witches."

I sat up straight, surprised. "What? Really?" My eyes widened.

"Yes. I am not aware of what happened on that morning when you were with Luciano but things had been severe since then. He has called for execution of every woman and man that has disobeyed his laws,"

No.

"Why?" This was wrong.

"I'm not sure. I've asked Vincent to talk to him but he hasn't spoken to anyone, not even me." Jaqueline continued, her eyes full of pain. "Is there something you want to tell me? His behavior isn't normal,"

My gaze traveled to the window and worry spread across my features. This was because of me.

"I told him that I didn't love him anymore,"

"And, do you?" Her eyes flicked at me.

"I'm not sure of what I feel for him,"

"Is it anger? Fear? Hatred?"

"I don't know," I shrugged, "Maybe fear that havoc will keep following me if I am with him." I wasn't sure about it either.

"So, it's not hatred?"

"Maybe...maybe not. I hate him for the things he had done. I hate him for so many things!" I exclaimed, my heart beat escalating. "But, I'm confused."

"Oh, you're confused because your daughter is away from you. Once this is over, you'll be fine and maybe then you can decide whether you love him or not." Jaqueline said, rubbing the sides of my knees.

"Do you think he hates me?" I raised a brow at her, "I've killed many of his men, disobeyed him, provoked him. He should hate me." For some reason, I wanted him to hate me so I wouldn't feel so guilty about hating him.

"From what I see, he doesn't hates you and he won't, no matter what you do. My son, even if you kill him, he will take your name in his last breath."

Tears welled down my eyes and I could help but crack a smile at what she hold me.

"I won't kill him," I assured her, "I don't have that much power to kill a King," I never wanted to do it either. Killing a man I loved once wasn't my intention.

"You will, Red." She nodded.

A shudder ran down my spine and I looked at her, "I won't," I said with shame. "I'm not going too. We have a plan, don't we?" I began panicking when Jaqueline uttered nothing.

After a long moment she replied, "He'll die from grief,"

"No," And just there, suddenly, I felt something. Shaking my head, I got up, "He won't,"