Chapter Twelve: Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow

And so the days turned into weeks

And so the days turned into weeks. I read to Andrei regularly, his grammar is getting astoundingly better. Rarely would he make a mistake when speaking. The guy was a genius with languages! We read everything from nonfiction to fantasy. Andrei ate them up.

He said that the stories that talked about old or wild magic sounded the most similar to what he'd experienced as one of the Fae. So, we found our niche. I'd find the books that talked about the Fae, or magic in general, and he would tell me who got it right, close, meh, or not even in the same ballpark.

We also binged so many Disney movies, it wasn't even funny. We didn't have a repeat of the incident with my cold, where we fell asleep watching them, but we'd definitely dozed off during a couple of them and woke up at ten or eleven at night, ending our time together.

We also went on dates to nearby cities and the museums they had there. Andrei almost always drove, making sure I layered up for the chilly ride. We never went much farther than an hour or two away, but it was just enough that my legs would sometimes be numb from the cold when we got there, and we'd have to take a break in a heated building to warm up. When it was really bad, Andrei would blow on his palms and rub them against the tops of my thighs, trying to bring warm blood back to the área with friction. 

It almost always worked instantaneously. 

During one trip to an art museum, we were sitting in an impressionist section looked at a Monet. Andrei pulled at our joined hands and I looked over at him.

"What are they doing?" He asked, gesturing with his head over to a couple sitting in front of a Renoir, holding a smartphone up and making silly faces for the camera.

"They're taking a selfie." 

He looked shocked,

"But I'm with you," he held up our joined hands, "They can't take me?"

I puzzled over what he said, then I groaned,

"Sel-fie, not sel-kie, gosh, you're--" I glanced up at him, hiding a smile behind his overly large hand, "You're totally pulling my leg, aren't you?"

He winked at me.

I groaned again and slapped my free hand against my face.

"What have I done to deserve this."

He nudged my shoulder incessantly.

"It was a good joke, yes?" I rolled my eyes and pulled him from the room, him chuckling the entire way.

We made it to the next impressionist room, when Andrei pulled gently on our joined hands. I looked up at him.

"What's up?"

He looked to the side. Then back at the room we were just in.

"Can we take a selfie, too?"

My heart melted.