16| Whole lot of drama

Niko and Vanessa are waiting by my locker, and we all head to class arm in arm. It's different from spending time with Kianna. Ki-ki is loud and outgoing and always made sure everybody knew we were coming, but Niko and Vanessa are reserved. I suppose when you live in a town as small as Parkwood, everyone already knows who you are; there isn't the need to be noticed.

At lunch, Vanessa asks if I want to grab some food after school. I'd actually love to–riding is starting to take over my life–but I've already promised Tyler.

I tell them this, and the mention of riding piques Niko's interest. He shuffles a little closer and rests his hand on his chin to look at me. "So, you're the girl my brother's been talking about."

I frown. "Who's your brother?"

"His name's Sam," Niko says. "He came home the other week and, in his own words, said, 'Hot girl is making waves at the track.' He's not really one for expanded noun phrases, you know?"

I laugh before my eyebrows shoot up. "Wait, you're related to Sam?"

He sighs. "Hard to believe, right? I mean I got the brains, the looks, the body. Unfortunately, he got the talent."

I smile. "You obviously got the modesty trait, too."

"So, can we come and watch you race, then?" Vanessa asks. "I've never really been into the whole track thing. It might be fun to watch you."

"Why don't you guys meet me at the track after school? I'll be there around four."

Niko nods before stealing a fry from my plate. "Can't wait. Can I take some pictures of you?"

I look up, alarmed, and Vanessa laughs. "It's not for his personal collection if that's what you're thinking. He's in photography club–he brings his camera everywhere."

"Uh, sure," I say.

"Great," Niko says, and he steals another one of my fries.

The rest of the day goes just as smoothly. I'm starting to talk to the kids in my class, and when Mr. Lux, the History teacher, asks us to talk to our neighbor, the girl next to me says, "Roxy, right?" Then spends the next ten minutes talking about my hair.

"You should see it when I first wake up," I say back, and she laughs.

By the time school finishes, I can't stop smiling. Niko links my arm after class and walks me to the parking lot, where Tyler is leaning on his bike. He sees us and straightens up, his smile quickly falling when his eyes flit to Niko.

"I'll see you later," Niko says, hugging me, and I nod before walking up to Tyler.

"Hey," I say.

"Hey." His voice is clipped as he reaches into the back compartment, pulling out the spare helmet. Without a word, he slips it over my head and fastens it under my chin. Finally, he looks at me. "So, you and Niko are friends?"

"Yeah," I say. "Worlds apart from his brother, right?"

He doesn't say anything to this, he just throws a leg around his motorcycle and waits for me to climb on the back. I wrap my arms around his waist and put my feet on the footrests. After checking his mirrors, we're zooming off through the parking lot and down the main road toward the track.

I hold on tighter, enjoying the feel of the wind. Growing up, my dad used to say that riding is freedom, but I never really understood what that meant back then. Now I get it–on a bike, you are limitless, free to go wherever, whenever you please.

We pull up to a little bike store not far from the track. Tyler slows to a stop, and I unravel my hands from his waist before getting to my feet. We head inside the shop together, where we're met with a beefy-looking biker.