chapter one

Diana Bridgerton was most certainly not the incomparable of the season, no that would be her sister. Not that she minded much. Diana was able to appreciate her sister’s many talents without feeling her that she was not also considered a “diamond” as Lady Whistledown so graciously named Daphne.

This did not mean that Diana was by any means unattractive. She was after all a Bridgerton. Her long chestnut hair, gentle complexion, wide knowledge, kindness, and bounty of accomplishments made her a worthy catch.

Indeed, Anthony often said that he had a hard time keeping suitors away from her. She laughed at that, ‘poor Anthony’ she thought, having to deal with her and Daff’s debut in the same year!

So far this season Diana had not yet received any offers of marriage that she felt willing to accept. And she was indeed glad that her eldest brother had not pressured her to accept any of them.

She was not looking for love (not particularly anyway) nor wealth or a handsome face. In fact, Diana was unsure what she was searching for in a suitor but she felt certain that she would know when she had found it.

And so here she was, at the Queen’s ball. She had heard tell that Prince Friedrich had come to London in search of - she was not sure.

In truth she was not all that interested to meet him as she was sure he would be irritated by the other debutantes throwing themselves at him. She did, however, wish to ask him about Prussia. She had heard it was most beautiful and longed to travel there, like Colin was able to roam across the continent.

The ball was much like the others she had experienced so far in the season and she had not spoken to any particularly interesting people since her arrival so she was most glad indeed when Benedict suggested they are a late night stroll in the gardens to escape all the loud music.

“I do wish I could paint as well as you do, Ben. You are so very talented.” Diana mused.

“Oh but you are practically a master at everything else - you’re better at fencing than me now!”

“That’s true.” Diana laughed as she gazed upon the beauty of the Queen’s garden.

“Aren’t you meant to be modest when someone pays you a compliment?”

Diana turned to face Benedict and looped her arm through his.

“My dear brother, you should know me well enough by now to be aware that I have absolutely no understanding of the word! I am perfect. A perfect debutante.” She bowed mockingly before collapsing into laughter.

“You are something else, Di. Shall we head back?”

When Diana had returned from her stroll in the gardens Daphne recounted to her the encounter with the Prince. Diana could not help but notice the humoured glances that passed between her sister and the Duke of Hastings.

“Your sister was quite the embarrassment tonight. I did not know such a sound could come from her! The loudest snort you’ve ever heard!”

“You didn’t! How mortifying!” Diana was equally shocked and humoured.

“It was really quite something” laughed the Duke.

“It must have been to make you smile, Sir.”

“Daphne Bridgerton, your sister is almost as insolent as you are!”

“I take offence at that, good Sir” countered Diana, “I am far more insolent than my incomparable sister.”

“That is very true.” Daphne agreed.

Diana, keen to leave the young pair to themselves, declared that she was leaving in search of the Prince.

“I must apologise for your disgraceful behaviour, sister.” Diana remarked rolling her eyes.

“Do not roll your eyes, it isn’t lady like.”

Diana glared at her.

“Whatever”

“He’s very handsome by the way” called Daphne as Diana turned to leave.

She simply chuckled to herself at her sister’s comment.

*****

So this is a random Bridgerton story but do stick around because I think it could be interesting.

All my love,

V x