Chapter 36: This guy is killing me!

Chapter 36:
This guy is killing me!

Hailey's POV

My hands are sweaty, even under the bandages I wrapped around them. I can feel my stomach churn with anxiety and bile rise up my throat as I walk down the aisle to the ring. I am so nervous that if it were possible, I would run away right this instance and never come back to this dreadful place.

I stare at my opponent as I take my final step approaching the ring and my eyes almost fly out at the size of him up close. I gulp inaudibly before throwing myself into the ring where my opponent stands unimpressed at the sight of me. Of course Luther would want me to fight this oversized mountain of clay and muscle and still expect me to win.

If he wanted assured victory, then he could have least given me an easier opponent instead of The Rock's family member.

Since the VIP section is directly across us, I notice Luther's smug facial expression and as if sensing my stare, he makes eye contact with me. I feel my blood begin racing as I stare at his satisfied devilish face, making me wish he was my opponent so that I could beat him up mercilessly until the point of death if need be.

Okay, calm down! Focus on the mountain in front of you.

Luther sends me a not so subtle wink then takes a sip out of the wine glass which was situated on a small table beside his armchair.

He makes my skin crawl.

Hearing the commentator speak brings me back to the reality of the fight and I come face to face with a nasty stare from Austin the mountain. When the bell rings, signalling the start of the fight, I internally beat myself up for not analysing Austin while I had time, and I'm pretty sure he made a quick scan of my body for any weak points.

Okay, Hailey, let's do this.

Austin decides to use the element of surprise by attacking me with a spear from the get go, leaving me breathless as his shoulder makes brutal contact with my abdomen. Pain also surges through my back when I make contact with the floor and I gasp for air for a few seconds. I lay on the floor, still trying to fill my lungs with enough air and waiting for the strong pain to simmer down a bit. I take note that Austin stepped away from me and is encouraging the crowd to cheer louder, which complies easily and lifts a mighty roar of praise.

If your head was 100% in the game, you could've dodged it!

"I wouldn't be surprised if she can't get up from that, she seemed too fragile to begin with," the commentator comments and his remark sends me fuming.

Fragile?! I'll show you fragile!

After a few seconds I recover and stand up. I wince at the sharp pain in my abdomen when I try to straighten my posture, but I bite back the feeling and stand up straight anyway.

"And she's up, ladies and gentlemen!" The commentator announces, his voice having an underlying tone of surprise. "Man, she has more guts than most of the newbies tonight."

Austin is clearly shocked to see that I have stood up, definitely not expecting me to recover as quick as I did. He nods mockingly at me and even applauds me slowly in a not bad manner. While he's standing there like we're not here to fight, I take the opportunity to scan his body, and I notice one thing: a slightly healing bruise on the left of his ribs. I smile internally at this and I mentally thank whoever caused that injury.