t w e n t y - f i v e

Faune

I DROP TO MY KNEES AT THE SCENE IN FRONT OF ME. My sister is lying in a bed. Darkness floats above her. She's screaming at the top of her lungs and writhing on the bed. Two figures are standing by her. One has their hands on her shoulders and is shaking her. Roaring her name. The other is cursing every awful word beside the other figure. Landon is suddenly beside me, his eyes wide and his jaw slack.

My heart lurches in my chest. I can feel her pain. Her terror. My stomach knots around itself. I begin to dry heave on the ground.

Oh my gods oh my gods.

What is going on?

What is happening to her right now?

The Moon picks me up from off the floor. He puts his hands on my shoulders and shakes me. "You need to help her Faune!"

"How?"

"The Calling." He says, then turns to Royal. "You too. You can get inside her head. Her shields are down. You can get in."

The Moon waves his hand and the moon projection solidifies. I can see the figure shaking Em clearer now.

"Kam." Landon breathes.

The High-King of Llyria's head shoots up. His eyes wide with panic and shock. I can see the other person in the room now too. Tall, lean, blonde. I don't really recognize him . . . wait.

It's the Prince!

He was the one who I could only see part of in my sun projection. His back was facing us, so I couldn't see him. But now—

The Moon turns to the High-King. "Kamolinn, you need to listen to me." Kamolinn's face is panicked. "Your mate is about to wake up. You'll need to calm her down. Let her know you are there. She's incredibly vulnerable right now. You all need to be very patient. Do you understand me?" He turns back around to Royal and me. Kamolinn's eyes snag on mine. His eyes pleading and frantic through the projection.

My heart thunders in my chest as I nod my head. Royal nods his as well.

"What's happening to her?" Kamolinn bellows.

The Moon's face goes dark. "She was trying to kill herself."

All of our eyes snap to him. My heart breaks in my chest.

No no no no no.

She couldn't.

She wouldn't.

Royal staggers back. His face falling, grief taking its place on his features. "No, she wouldn't—"

The Moon shakes his head. "You're right. She wouldn't. But her power is trying to kill her. She's entered the walls of her magic. And her body is burning out. She didn't mean to go in there. It simply took her. Her power wanted to kill her. To consume her."

I cry in relief. Thank the gods.

"What do we do?" I ask, my voice raw with emotion.

"She's about to wake up; regain control. When that happens, she'll be disorientated. She won't know up from down. Left from right. Her name." I suck in a breath. "Keep calling her. Calm her. Tell her you're there. You're the only ones who can reach her right now."

Kamolinn's eyes connect with mine again. He nods his head. I return it. We know what must be done. The three of us have to put aside our differences and help Ember. Help calm her. We're the only ones who can. We're all connected to her through the Calling. We know and love her most out of everyone here. We can do this. We have to do this.