Chapter 13

After her kiss with James, Elsie had spent the next few days losing herself in the book that Remus had given her. She was still confused about the note that he had put in the book, but after he figured out about her liking James, she didn't want to question him. Remus was smart, too smart, and she knew he didn't just give her this book to read for fun. So, she dove into the plot line of the book trying to figure out what exactly his question meant.

Elsie was in the library on the morning of the day she was supposed to be meeting up with McLaggen to talk. She let the note that Remus had left her shift between her fingers as she read it over again...

"A story about a lover torn between the person they're supposed to love and the one they end up falling for...torn between fidelity and desire. Who do you think wins, Els? When a person has to choose between who they're supposed to love and who they end up loving unpredictably, who wins? Fidelity or desire?"

"Smart arse," she grumbled under her breath while studying the note.

"Good morning to you too," a snickering Remus replied to her snarky comment. He looked at what his friend was so flustered over when he realized he was staring at his own handwriting.

"Ahhh, so you found my note?" He questioned while sitting down in the seat across from her, his lips itching to curve upwards to form a smirk.

"Yes, and it's bloody confusing!" she shouted in a tone just above a whisper, earning a glare from Madam Pince, the librarian.

She mouthed a sorry to the scowling lady and lowered her voice, "Can you please just tell me what this note means? I can't figure it out for the life of me!"

Remus, who was now fully smirking, shook his head at the girl, "That is for you to figure out on your own, little Tibbles."

"Remusssss," she groaned while beginning to pout, "It's not fair. You're too smart for me!"

"Now, now...that's not true. We can talk about the book when you are finished with it," he laughed at the sulking girl, while reaching a hand over and ruffling her hair.

The two sat in a comfortable silence reading their own books, until 3 panting boys came running into the library.

After catching his breath, Sirius began speaking with a disgusted look on his face, "What are we doing here?"

Elsie laughed at the disturbed boy, "Well we," she paused while gesturing between herself and Remus, "are reading. What are you three doing here?"

Sirius, James, and Peter all looked at each other nervously. James scratched the back of his neck while hiding something behind his back, refusing to make eye contact with either of them. Elsie noticed this and immediately stood up to look at him.

"James Potter," she started with an intense glare, "What did you do?"

"W-well, w-we may have done something-,"

"What...did...you...do," she narrowed her eyes at the boy in front of her.

All of a sudden, James pulled out a cat from behind his back.

"You got me a cat?" Elsie suspiciously asked them well taking the white cat from him.

Sirius decided to cut to the chase and quickly spit out, "We may have turned your owl permanently into a cat."

"You what?!"

After hearing the girl shout, Madam Pince had kicked the group of 5 out of the library because of how loud they were being. Elsie furiously dragged the four boys into an empty classroom, handing the cat to Remus so she could yell at them.