Vingt

"I'm scared to see the end; in your eyes I can see the emptiness."

-She's in the rain; The Rose

Mikala POV

After the first bout, we were told that the next round would take place in a week. After seeing the lineup, it was only logically for confusion to arise in the polar star dormitory. Mama Fumio was delighted to see two students from her dorm reach the semi-finals, along with everyone else in the dorm. That was until a certain animal raising orange created chaos with a simple question,

"Wait, if both Soma and Mikala are competing then who should we root for?"

And with that innocent question, a war broke out in the dorms.

Shoki, Ryoko, and Shun argued for my sake while Yuki, Daigo, and Marui fought that Soma has a higher chance of winning. Megumi and Isshiki-senpai trying to reason with the six, telling them they can cheer for the both of us but no matter how much the duo tried to reason with them, their words went annoyed.

Both Soma and I tried to let our dormmates know that they can cheer for whoever they want or both of us, but we were pushed away and told to practice our dishes. Which leads me to were I am at the current moment.

Testing out different broths for my beef stew recipe, or so I should be doing.

"Excuse me, but who are you?" I asked the scary looking male who was crouched in the corner, since I arrived, he had been sitting there just watching me quietly.

Finally blinking, the giant looked up at me, "Oh, are I bothering you? I thought I was being unnoticeable."

Not daring to comment on how it would be impossible not to notice someone his size in an exposed corner like that, I shook my head, "No, it's fine. I... uh..barely saw you. Anyways, may I ask why you are observing me, and for your name?"

Nodding his head, the teen—man? —stood up, his tall and muscular body hovering over mines with a grin on his face. "Right, that's only polite, I guess. My name is Mimakaka Subaru, I've come to study you and all your habits." I nearly blanched at his straightforwardness.

"And why are you doing that? What are you, some creepy stalker or something?" I asked, turning around to walk back over to the stove to stir the broth I was currently cooking.

"I just felt like it, I watched your two performances during the Autumn tournament, your cooking style caught my attention along with the high praise your dishes received. Makes me want to crush you, you know humble you a bit."

I felt my face twist up in annoyance as I turned to look at the teen, I noticed him wince slightly after seeing my face, but he held his ground, sighing, I turned off the stove before sitting down the spoon and giving him my full attention, "Yeah, that still doesn't explain the stalking. Why not just challenge me to a food war or something, beat me using your skills or whatever." I asked, genially curious.

That tall male just flashed me a cocky smirk, "What fun would that be? If I were to beat you using a dish you worked hard on, that would surely crush your pride as a chef. Taking something, you thought you mastered and perfecting it, it must hurt."

Blinking once, then twice for good measure, I thought on his words. "I don't know, personally I could care less about who wins or loses." My words caught his attention, notably as he leaned in closer, eyebrows furrowed. Seeing this, I gave him a small smile, "As long as they taste my food, as long as they honor my work, that's enough for me. But then again," Not dropping my smile, I stepped closer to the male, so our chests were inches away from touching. In a calm voice I continued, "I'd rather die than lose to a second-rate chef like you who holds no respect to others and the dishes they work hard to create. If you're consent winning that way, then you have no right to stand all confident in front of me thinking you're a challenge."