17|| Coffee

AN: here's chapter 17. Enjoy, people.

Iris thought that would be the end of the matter- it should have been, considering her outburst and the cruel words David had spoken.

But, of course, life is never that easy.

"Grounded? My phone taken away? Triple chores for the next three weeks?"

"David, that does seem a little harsh–"

"Quiet Lisa, this is the decision made by both DeLano and I–"

"Bullshit!" Iris exclaimed, crossing her arms as a thunderous scowl contorted her expression. "Dad would ever allow such a thing!"

Iris had not grown up to fear punishment for minor wrongdoings. Instead, every time she made a mistake, Harry and Elise would take the time to explain to her why her actions were wrong. It also gave Iris the opportunity to confess her thinking, and often ended with hugs and promises to never do it again. Only in extreme cases was Iris punished- but this was rare.

"That's another thing we have to talk about." David cleared his throat and clasped his fingers together. "I would appreciate it if you called me Father or Dad."

"Oh shit," Lisa sighed, burying her face in her hands as she sensed a devastating storm brewing to destroy her family.

A fury unlike anything Iris had ever known boiled inside of her, robbing her of the ability to speak more than garbled words and violent hand gestures.

David seemed to wrongly interpret her words as confirmation for he gave a swift nod of satisfaction. "Excellent. Now, please hand over your phone–"

"No. What if I need to contact someone?"

"Your brothers will be there."

"I don't care. It's not fair on them either to have to babysit me."

"It's their–"

"Oh I'm tired of this!" Lisa slammed her palms on the table and her shout reverberated in the room. "Iris, go to your room! David- we need to talk."

Iris took the opportunity to escape the stifling room, hands clenched into tight fists by her side.

"What's going on, Lisa?" David sighed, pulling out a thick stack of papers from his drawer.

Lisa waited until the door closed and Iris's footsteps disappeared around the corner before rounding on her husband. "I should be asking you that."

"What? What did I do wrong?"

"Are you seriously asking that? David, you haven't seen Iris in ten years- do you honestly expect her to be the same little girl? Do you honestly expect your relationship to be exactly the same?"

"I don't see why–"

"Exactly. You don't see. That girl has been through hell in the last few weeks. She's lost her mother, been torn away from her family- don't you dare say you're her family or I'll rip out your throat- and now has to deal with an overbearing stranger demanding he's her father?"

"You've gone too far, Lisa!" David snapped, slamming his palms on the desk. "You wouldn't know what it's like to have a daughter anyways!"

In the silence that followed, he wished he could snatch the words back from the air and stuff it back into his stupid brain.

Lisa reeled back, her chest stilled and face collapsed into a blank stare. "I can't believe you just said that to me."

"Lisa–"