Chapter Twenty- Start Unpacking

Around 7 am I feel Max slightly shaking my shoulder, "It's time to go, Jack's guys are here." I pulled myself up, surprised that I woke up that quickly. I look to see at least 4 really tall guys carrying our boxes out of the door one by one.

I sigh and lean against Max who just sits on the couch with me watching our things leave one after another. I look around at our dark and tiny apartment, I still remember getting used to not having any windows except in the bedrooms. Our walls are bare and dull only with the light of our lamp shining on them. I look down at my lamp and grip the blanket angrily that I am losing this place. I won't miss the actual place, but what it meant to me. This was my first shot at freedom and being an adult. And now? I will be staying on the couch of the guy I've never dated and occasionally kiss.

I see the last few boxes going out the door and Max sighs, "This is all my fault Dawn, I'm so sorry to drag you into this."

I lift my head off her shoulder, and shake my head, "I may not know what is going on but I know it isn't your fault.

"But it is though," Max answers, sounding sadder than ever before.

"Have you ever done anything knowing it would hurt me?" I question.

Max finally looks at me with bloodshot eyes, confused, "No of course not."

"Have all your reactions been to protect me?"

"Yes, that's what I have been trying to do this whole time," Max says, still confused.

I smile, "Then you shouldn't blame yourself for anything that happened." Max's eyes start to get watery and she looks down to hide her tears. I reach out and pull her into a hug. We say like that for a few minutes silently comforting each other. I lean my head against hers and sigh when I see Jack come into the apartment.

She seems to hear him come in and pulls away from me to face Jack.

"We are ready to go whenever you guys are," Jack says quietly, not seeming like he wanted to bother us. His demeanor was completely different today, he looked cold, calm, and collected, not mad and reactive like he was last night.

Max nodded, getting up off the couch holding out her hand for me to get up too. I get up and grab my small bag of things shoving my blanket inside messily. Looking around the apartment is bare except for Max's couch, table, and chairs. I sigh while it doesn't feel or look like home it is still so hard to leave this place. Jack nods towards the door and holds it open for us.

We head out and don't turn back around- slowly heading down the stairs flight by flight. With 2 men in front of us walking at our pace and Jack behind us. Finally, we get outside and it's just starting to get light outside, there are two different black SUV's waiting for us. My stomach drops knowing one's for me and the other for Max. She turns to me first and pulls me into a tight hug which I quickly return.

She pulls away and clears her throat, "I'll reach out as soon as I can." She says to me and I nod. Turning to Jack, "You better take care of her Jack."

Jack gives a small smile, "You know I will." And gives her a quick hug before she heads to the first SUV and gets into the back. I watch her get in and the car starts to pull away before Jack lightly places his hand on my back, "It's time to go". I nod and head to the backseat of the second car and Jack gets into the back with me.

Ignore Jack completely the entire ride... Not that he is talking to me anyway but I still feel angry not about the apartment anymore but because I know he isn't going to tell me why this happened or what is going on.

By the time we are pulling up to Jack's apartment building, I see some of the guys from this morning carrying in some of my boxes. I sigh, I can't believe that I am here out of all the places in the city. But at least my things made it here in one piece and I would not have been able to pay for rent by myself that is for sure. I wonder how much Jack will want me to pay?