Chapter Twenty-Two - Flight Home

Staring at my phone I know I have to make the call but I have been procrastinating all morning. I sip on the tea that Jack seemed to have bought and put into the kitchen for me. Honestly, I could be calling the cops right now with the amounts of paperwork I found last night. But here I am holding the phone to call Jack instead.

I set the phone down on the countertop and walk away. I take my tea with me and walk over to the window to look out over Central Park. It is insane that I am in this situation. Tomorrow I told my boss that I will be coming back into rehearsals but I know my head is not in it at all. Calling Jack and getting him to finally be honest with me is the only way for me to actually be able to focus on anything.

I sigh and head over to the phone and click call. It rings and rings, I have no idea what time zone he is in but I have a feeling he will answer.

"Hello? Dawn?" Jack answers, after only a few short rings.

I sigh, here we go, "Jack where are you?"

"I'm still out of the country. Is everything okay? Are you hurt?" I can hear the worry coming through the phone.

"I'm fine and I know you're out of the country, what country?" I push,

Jack seems to pause, "What do you mean?"

"I think that is a pretty simple question Jack," I say bluntly. I hear some rustling, and Jack tells someone that he will be right back.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Jack's voice is muffled lightly as it sounds like he is walking.

"Yes Jack I said I'm fine-" I start, but Jack cuts me off.

"Say something about food, if someone is forcing you to call me." He says randomly

"Huh, what are you talking about?" I question

Jack seems to walk into a room, and I can hear him better, "Dawn just say something about food if someone is holding you against your will."

"No Jack," I pause. There is no way he is serious... right? "No I'm fine really- I'm home alone."

I can hear Jack breathe a sigh of relief, "Jesus Dawn you scared me."

"What the hell was all of that about?" I ask, am I really in that much danger that he is worried I'm going to get kidnapped? I mean I guess that is the reason why I am even at Jack's place isn't it?

I hear Jack start to backtrack, "Nothing I just thought something was wrong..."

"No" I interrupt, "You are gonna tell me the truth now."

"Dawn I don't know what you're talking about." He denies making me madder.

"Yes, Jack yes you do." I start to let the anger come into my voice, " You and Max have been keeping me in the dark this whole time and I know it!!"

"Dawn you already know that we come from rich families- these people can be horrible to each other, and the lengths that they will go-"

"No," I say simply, "Tell me the truth, Jack."

I hear him shuffling on the other end, "I already-"

"No," The anger is starting to show in my voice, "Jack I swear I will walk out that door and into the worst neighborhood I can find if you don't tell me."

"Dawn.." Jack starts to scold me.

"AND" I yell into the phone, "I will lose blondie and the mean face bodyguards you have following me!" This time Jack stays silent, most likely thinking if I will be able to actually lose those bodyguards. Which of course, I obviously can't but he doesn't need to know that. "Jack I'm going to leave if you don't come clean!" I walk over to the door and open it making sure he hears it too.