Twelve

Before my friends headed off to their tropical or snowy escapes, we had a small secret Santa party at Emery's house. We built gingerbread houses, baked Pillsbury cookies, opened white elephant gifts, and had a good time.   

The party was a good way to relax after all of that fucking testing and the stress of college applications. 

Boys were alright, but nothing compared to having a good group of girlfriends.

It reminded me how much I couldn't wait to see my New York friends.

I was laying in my bed watching Netflix in an empty house. Abuela and Logan were out Christmas shopping, and Abuelo went out to the grocery store.

Then I got a text from Brennan that simply said "come outside."

Oh, what was he was up to today.

He was supposed to be packing for Aruba.

I slipped on a sweatshirt over my sports bra, and some slippers before I walked out to the driveway. 

He was in his car but got out.

"What are you doing here?" I questioned him as I crossed his arms.

"I had to bring you something." Brennan held a small brown box in his hand. "I got you a little something for Christmas."

I got closer to him and he handed me the box.

"You didn't have to." I almost wanted to give it back to him. 

He shook his head. "I'm not taking it back."

I shrugged and opened up the box. Inside was a sideways initial necklace with the letters R and D. R for my mom and D for my sister.

"I thought about getting an L for your dad, but I didn't want you to think that he was gone too. I still have hope that he's out there and trying to get back to you." Brennan explained frantically as I held the necklaces.

My eyes were getting watery.

It was the fact that he thought to get me something unprovoked and got me something super meaningful. 

"Brennan." I sniffled and held out my arms.

He wrapped his arms around me and held me close. "I didn't wanna make you cry." 

"It's just because I love it so much and it means a lot to me." I clarified. "I really like it."

The more that I worked through my situation, the more that I realized that I didn't want someone to fix me. I just wanted someone to hold my hand while I healed and fixed myself.

And he was doing that.

I pulled away and wiped my eyes. "Damn."

"What time do you leave tomorrow?" I pulled myself together.

"Six in the morning, but my dad will have us at the airport for fucking three." he chuckled. "Is anyone home?"

I shook my head. "Lo and Abuela are like fifteen minutes out though. She's probably gonna make me wrap the presents."

"I'd stay but I have to go finish packing." he reached back in his car and handed me three more small boxes. "It's the same necklace but for Logan and your grandma. I just got your grandpa a keychain."

This man almost seemed too good to be true sometimes.

"Oh!" he perked up and handed me a book titled 642 Things to Draw.

"I'm definitely getting you something now!" I exclaimed. 

"You don't have to." he smiled.

I hushed him. "I want to."