chapter two

Diana Bridgerton was wandering around the ball in search of her brother Anthony. She had originally intended to apologise to the Prince but quickly decided that she would most likely make matters worse. If anyone could fix things it would be Anthony.

She eventually found him surrounded by a swarm of young ladies and thought it best that she make some attempt to save him.

“Anthony!” She called upon reaching the crowd.

“Sister! There’s someone I would like to introduce you to.”

The crowd broke apart and Diana was afford the ability to finally reach her brother. He turned to her and then to the man in front of them, clearing his throat before making the introduction.

“Diana, this is Prince Friedrich of Prussia. Prince Friedrich, my sister Diana Bridgerton.” Anthony nodded cordially at the Prince and fell silent, intent on observing the conversation so that Diana would not make the same embarrassments that Daphne did.

“My Lady your dress it is - you are reading Tolstoy?” Friedrich indicated to the book Diana had picked up during her wandering.

“Yes, I have recently begun Anna Karenina although I think perhaps that I prefer War and Peace.”

The Prince thought for a moment.

“And have you read any Dostoevsky?”

Diana smiled at his genuine interest in literature, “No I have not yet, although I should very much like to.”

Friedrich held out his hand to her.

“Then perhaps you would consider joining me in a dance and we can discuss it in more detail.”

Diana looked at her eldest brother Anthony in confusion. The Prince wished to dance with her? How can that be possible?

The Viscount senses her unease and stepped in.

“My sister would be most honoured to engage in a dance with you, Prince Friedrich. Would you not Diana?”

Diana smiled at Anthony gratefully. She then turned back to the Prince.

“Yes I should like that very much.”

“Excellent” she put her arm in Friedrich’s, “So tell me Miss Bridgerton, why such fascination with foreign literature? Is your own not quite impressive too?”

They had reached the centre of the ballroom and the Prince bowed to her before they joined in with the dancing.

“Quite the contrary, your highness. I have a great appreciation for British literature, I only love foreign literature so much because it gives me an opportunity to discover and study their cultures.”

Diana passed Friedrich in a temporary changing of couples, thus giving him a couple of moments to contemplate his response to the witty girl.

“It is rare to see women so accomplished in their reading.”

“I think reading to be the greatest accomplishment of all. With reading comes a vast knowledge, and surely nothing is so important as that.”

They drifted off again and Friedrich snuck in a quick response as he turned her.

“How wise of you.”

“Thank you your highness” the music had now ended and the two turned to each other, bowing. “That is a great compliment coming from someone as seemingly well read as yourself.”

“You flatter me” he held out his arm and indicated towards the buffet table. “Perhaps you might join me in a drink, I have not yet tried your whiskey.”

Diana graciously accepted his offer and the two walked slowly through the room, engaged in conversation, with many intrigued ears watching.

“I’m afraid neither have I. Anthony - Viscount Bridgerton - has always tried to keep us away from the stronger alcohols.”

“A fine brother he is indeed to care so much. Would you prefer a red wine then?”

“Yes that would be lovely, thank you.”

The next few moments went by in quite a blur for everyone present. No one (not even Lady Whistledown) was absolutely certain what happened. All that the Ton knew was that somehow Diana Bridgerton’s full glass of wine had ended up splattered across her and the Prince, soaking them and their clothes in an almost purple hue.

“Prince Friedrich, I am so sorry.” Stuttered Diana.

The Prince said nothing, he only laughed.

“You Bridgerton’s have quite an interesting way of greeting your guests, I think!”

Diana could not help but chuckle, despite the gravity of the situation. The rest of London society, however, did not look half so pleased.