Chapter 16

Draco, Harry and Ron followed Valerie to her compartment, all slightly shaken up at Valerie's punishment for Pansy.

She, however, found herself unfazed, and actually enjoyed it, to say the least. Frances, Helen and the other two guards sat in the compartment nearby, leaving Valerie alone with the three boys.

She waved her hand, and the chess board appeared, the pieces magically aligning themselves in their designated positions, all precariously placed at a certain angle.

She looked at Ron, who gulped and blinked, his lips forming a sort of nauseated expression.

She licked her lips, and smirked.

"Weasley, do the honors, black, or white?" she asked.

"Um, you choose, Your Majesty," he stuttered.

"Black," she stated.

He nodded.

The chessboard automatically flipped, the black pieces positioning themselves before her and bowed.

Ron's jaw dropped. Never had he seen chess pieces behave in this way.

"Well, start," she ordered him, flexing her fingers.

He looked at the board, clearing his throat.

"Well, hurry up. I don't have all day," she barked.

He nodded. "Erm, pawn to E4," he called. The white pawn moved swiftly to the assigned square, slowly and elegantly.

She looked at Ron dead in the eye.

"Pawn to H8," she said, emotionally and surely.

Ron groaned. "I am so losing this game," he muttered.

"We haven't even started yet, Weasley," Valerie answered.

He sighed.

"Pawn to E9."

Valerie smiled to herself, her moves automatically planned in her head. "Bishop to I8," she said, looking at Harry and Draco, who's eyes were both transfixed on the board. 

They weren't even glaring at each other for a change.

Ron gulped and froze, looking at the board, deep in thought.

Valerie tapped her fingers on the edge of the wooden board.

Finally, Ron spoke, "knight to E7."

Valerie leaned forward, enthusiastic at the prospect of playing the move she looked forward to. 

"Bishop to A1," she said boredly. "And there goes your rook, Weasley," she pointed out as her bishop crushed the white rook, turning it to dust, which vanished on the spot.

Ron was mortified. He had never seen anyone plan their moves so strategically.

He buried his head in his hands and continued playing.

Five moves later, Valerie was smirking, looking at the chess board interestedly. So far, she'd lost three pawns, a knight and a bishop. Ron, on the other hand, had lost both of his knights, a rook, a bishop and his queen.