xlvii. Loose Ends

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰

chapter forty seven | loose ends

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰

KAYA'S BOYFRIEND AND HIS TWIN had become celebrities, and the story of their flight to freedom was retold so often over the next few days that within a week, even those who had been eye-witnesses were half-convinced they had seen the twins dive-bomb Umbridge on their brooms and pelt her with Dungbombs before zooming out of the doors. Kaya knew Fred would have loved it - it was a shame he wasn't around to hear or see it all.

She understood it was selfish, but Kaya couldn't help but feel slightly deflated after her boyfriend's departure. She supposed it was because it all happened so quickly - one minute he dropped the L-bomb and the next he was flying out of the hell they called school without her. Of course, she was happy for him that he'd gotten himself out of there - especially since the use of whips on students had just been passed - but she wasn't going to be over the moon he had left her behind, was she?

Not to mention, it had almost been a year since Cedric's death, and right now it seemed to be even more obvious than ever. Because, this time last year they were busy hyping Cedric up for the third task and having parties, ready to crown him as the Triwizard Champion. And now he's gone - and Kaya's still trying to pick up the pieces, especially considering the fact that his killer wasn't even being acknowledged.

And so, all she can do now is just try her best to cope with it all - being left behind, the anniversary of her friend's death, hiding from Umbridge, and her end of year exams.

Kaya felt quite drained, in all honesty.

But, although Fred might've left, he certainly didn't fail to leave her anything to remember him by, as the girl was receiving little reminders of her boyfriend almost everywhere she looked.

For one thing, he and George had not left instructions on how to remove the swamp that now filled the corridor on the fifth floor of the east wing. Umbridge and Filch had been observed trying different means of removing it but without success. Eventually, the area was roped off and Filch, gnashing his teeth furiously, was given the task of punting students across it to their classrooms. Kaya and her friends were certain that teachers like McGonagall or Flitwick could have removed the swamp in an instant, but, just like in the case of Fred and George's Wildfire Whiz-bangs, they seemed to prefer to watch Umbridge struggle. She couldn't blame them one bit.

Kaya hadn't even realised until he'd left, but Fred had left one of his Quidditch jumpers in her bag - her favourite one of his, to be exact. He knew she'd always liked the softness and coziness of it, and so, being the angel that he was, he left it behind.

The girl either wore it in the evenings on top of her clothes, the bagginess of it due to the size difference acting almost like a blanket and made her feel even more cozy, like wrapping her up like a cuddle. The best way to describe it was a hug from miles away.