XIV - Abigail

The TARDIS' ability to time travel still marvelled you, even after you'd been travelling with the Doctor for a while. Just as quickly as you'd left Mr Sardick, you were resting yourself comfortably on your hands on his childhood bed. After having pushed the halves of the circular window through into the room , the two of you had climbed in- that was when the Doctor took control, talking to an older Kazran through the camera as his memories were slowly being re-written. You took it upon yourself to sit back and relax while trying to make some sort of sense of anything he was saying.

Surprisingly enough, it didn't work. Your attempts to console the boy against the Doctor's exaggerated storytelling were almost useless, and you were ushered around the room, following the Doctor in his flamboyant expressions and movements and trying not to injure a twelve year old Mr Sardick in the process.

Before you had much time to even comprehend the situation, you were huddled close next to the Doctor inside a cupboard, with your finger resting in the loop of a rope he'd tied to his sonic in the middle of the bedroom. To attract the fish, he said- and that it did. In a moment that was much too short for your liking, you'd gone from listening intently to changes in the sonic's frequency, to pushing yourself into the other end of the cupboard in the hopes that the shark the sonic had lured in wasn't going to kill you.

'Bad big fishy.' the Doctor says, looking over the shark on the roof outside Kazran's window. The light on the parked TARDIS provided a little more glow to the scene, as Kazran cradled the obviously injured shark on the rooftop. Half of the sonic screwdriver was still inside the shark, and the other half was calling limply towards its other half from inside the Doctor's hand.

'Have a look at that. See what's wrong with it.' he says, handing you the wailing screwdriver as he went to sit with Kazran. You overheard little snippets of their conversation, but focused your attention on the broken sonic. The Doctor grabbed your hand unexpectedly and led you down through the house to a room full of the same white coffins as the girl had been in earlier that evening. This was the first time you'd really looked up and registered your surroundings for a while, and all that caused you to do that was the bitter change in temperature. The Doctor's warm hand led you through the foggy room, until you came to a halt just in front of someone you recognised.

'It's her.' you say, placing the broken half of the sonic back into the Doctor's jacket. 'The girl from upstairs.'

'Do you know her?' Kazran asks.

'No, not really. Are you sure she won't mind us taking her out like this?' the Doctor asks.

'Okay, I zoned out for a minute.' you whisper. 'Catch me up.'

'Shark dying, need cold, found cold.' he summarises simply.

'Surprisingly, that was actually useful.' you smile, and Kazran pushes a few buttons on the side of the coffin. A hologram of the girl appears on the freezing glass, and you all stop to listen to her as she speaks.

'My name is Abigail Pettigrew, and I'm very grateful for Mister Sardick's kindness.'

She continues to speak, and you notice the Doctor split away, holding his lantern up towards the small windows of the other boxes. There must have been thousands of people stored there, all with their life momentarily stopped in exchange for money- Kazran explained. You couldn't understand how anyone could charge such a valuable price for money, but these people were desperate, destitute, and willing to do anything to keep themselves alive.

The video ended, and the sudden silence in the room made it a lot easier to hear the sonic's wails. Another sound answered it, and the Doctor's face dropped as he began to panic.

'What's wrong?' Kazran asks.

'Just my half of a screwdriver trying to repair itself. It's signalling the other half.'