Twenty-Four: Brushes

To say that my Dad is shocked is an understatement. He takes a minute to process what I called him, and the rest of the pack must've heard me too because everyone quits their conversations, and all eyes are on us. On me.

"What?" He asks for clarification, but it sounds like he's asking that just so he can hear me say it one more time. My arms become tighter around his torso.

"Thank you, Dad." I repeat, smiling.

"For what?" He dares to ask, as if he doesn't know everything he's done for me ever since I was taken by Alec. Ever since he took me, he's organized thousands of search parties, looked for me everywhere, and even got the entire werewolf world to look for me.

"For everything," I say, not even bothered by the fact that most of the pack is listening. What's so important that I need to hide from them anyway? It's not like they don't know that I couldn't call Orion Dad until now. "For never giving up on finding me, for giving me everything that you have given me, and for making me feel like I belong."

Finally, my Dad wraps his arms around me as well. "You've always belonged here, sweetheart. Even if you think otherwise." We pull apart and he puts his hands on my upper arms as he looks me in the eyes. "Know that I will never give up on you, okay? Even though we have you back, I won't ever give up on trying to give you the life you want and deserve." He and I both smile at the same time.

My Dad and I hug each other one last time before I decide to take the spot next to Lily at the front of the block. She sends a small smile my way and I send her one in return. My attention goes back to my Dad and Ace —who is standing next to him— when he lets out a loud, ear piercing whistle, catching everyone's attention. He waits for most of the pack to be listening to him before beginning to speak.

"Some of you have been experiencing a hard time with form and other things, so Ace and I are going to perform a demonstration for everyone. Even if one of you is all set, I advise you to pay attention. Anyone can benefit from this," My Dad explains. He paused, waiting for anyone to raise their hand or just blurt out a question. I don't think anyone will. He was quite clear with instruction. After a couple seconds of silence, him and Ace look at each other and exchange nods.

I'm excited to watch them fight each other. I haven't seen either of them fight before, and for years before I got here, I heard about how ruthless my Dad is when it comes to fighting. Even though they aren't going to fight with all their strength, it's still exciting to be able to witness their fighting firsthand without being the one getting absolutely annihilated.

Their small duel starts off with them getting in position. Anticipation runs through me when neither of them make the first move, waiting for each other to do so. When moments go by with nothing, Ace decides to make the first move himself, starting the fight.

The fight isn't too exciting since they're going easy on one another, but it primarily ends with Ace being hurdled towards the ground and landing on his back with an obnoxiously loud thud. The pack cheers for the victor, but it quickly died down when Ace got back on his feet and my Dad claps his hands to give further instructions.

"Now, I want everyone to take what learned from observing us and apply it. Partner up!" He orders and we all do as he says. Lily and I look at each other, agreeing to be partners. People around us have already started fighting when Lily and I go over to each other.

"No powers," she says, giving me a look. I obviously would not ever use my powers on someone I care about unless I am sure I'm not going to accidentally hurt them. I have complete control of them, but the new ability that was showing itself in the form of cracks on the way to the coronation could very well come out at any moment, and I never know which way someone is moving and I could hit them in the wrong place and hurt them.