Chapter 10: In my Life

(Y/N) Age: 12

"Hey Y/N, look at what I got"

I looked up from the soil. I was currently picking some of the crops my parents planted some time ago.

"Aren't you going to help me pick these? You did come to my house uninvited" I said blandly, looking at my childhood friend.

"Yeah but this is more important" Akuma dismissed. He kneeled down and showed me a piece of silver.

"Akuma! Get rid of that, you can get in trouble for having something like that" I whisper shouted.

"So stupid, the government of this place won't even give us the privilege of having something of value. You and your dad made this entire field without any tools, because the rulers of this country don't like us having an upper hand in anything" Akuma ranted and stuffed the small piece of silver in his jacket.

"Yeah yeah go preach somewhere else. Like the middle of town" I teased, getting up from the floor and grabbed the basket full of freshly picked vegetables.

"HA yeah right, I'll be shot and killed the moment they think I'm going to say something they don't like. Can't believe my parents want me to become a soldier" Akuma grumbled and started following me back to the house. "Do your parents want you to enlist?"

"No, they already had this talk. My dad was a soldier but the country wasn't as bad as this at the time. Now it just seems the military is throwing soldiers away so they can conquer anyone they want to. My parents don't want that kind of life for me" I answered.

"Ughh you're lucky to have parents like that. Then again, I wonder if my parents knew what happened to most soldiers, would they still make me go?"

"Probably not, your parents actually care about you. Even if you're annoying as hell" I answered. Akuma shoved me lightly and called me a jerk, making me laugh at how offended he got.

"About time you got back! Come on I'm starving!" My sister, Lily, called from the house.

"Good to see you too sis. Oh yeah the coyotes didn't eat me I'm okay, thanks for asking" I said sarcastically.

We all went inside the farmhouse and I put the basket on the table. My mom turned to me and smiled while taking the basket to the sink, so they could be washed.

"Thank you for your help, Y/N. And welcome Akuma, you two go wash up, I just have to cut these vegetables up and then we'll eat" my mother said kindly, dumping the vegetables in a bowl.

"Yes ma'am" Akuma said in respect. We both went outside to wash our hands and face at the well.

When we got back inside the house, my dad, mom, and sister were already sitting down at the table. Akuma and I took a seat beside each other and my mother gave us a plate of equal portion.

"Thank you for the meal" we all said in unison before eating the soup my mother prepared.

"How's school going?" My father asked both Akuma and I. Akuma was quick to answer while I got up to refill everyone's glass of water.

"It's great so far sir! This girl keeps looking at Y/N like he's a piece of meat"

I choaked on my own spit and I looked back at Akuma with a look that could kill. He stuck his tongue out like a toddler.