⚜ Chapter Twenty-Nine: Snake ⚜

<< Why is the snake the only one I can trust? >>

«────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ──────»

Darkness.

That was the only thing [Name] saw, felt, and heard. Just a suffocating silence as she stood in the middle of nothing. She wasn't sure how she was able to stand - she couldn't see a floor under her feet, and yet it was there, as solid as it would be in reality.

Her feet were frozen to the floor as if they were rooted there in stone. [Name] could certainly look around, her upper body was fully functional and moving. She attempted to lean forward (despite knowing full well that she would most likely fall over), but she didn't get very far. Her hands instead made contact with an invisible barrier.

She leaned back in confusion, then poked the barrier cautiously. The barrier was sturdy, but not hard so that she would hurt herself if she tried to punch it. It had the consistency of jello, [Name] noticed as she placed her hand on the barrier once more, creating soft ripples as she did.

Click.

[Name] almost went blind as the pitch-black room suddenly switched into full-blown illumination, her eyes squinting against the light in an attempt to see. When she finally got used to the light, [Name] blinked away the dark spots littering the corners of her vision, and she finally saw what the void had turned into.

She stood in a small office, the walls a warm brown color due to the oak boards lining them. Bookshelves were lined up against the wall furthers from her, only showing a small piece of wall for a whiteboard, where pictures of demons were tacked up by magnets, along with some scribbled notes in the minimal space the whiteboard provided. Among the scribbles, [Name] could make out a few words: REGENERATION, MIDDLE EYE, EVOLUTION, LIMIT UNKNOWN.

As for the bookshelves themselves, they weren't filled with, well, actual books. They had folders upon folders upon folders, a few papers sticking out, but for the most part, they were actually somewhat neat. On the walls on the side, there were a few more whiteboards. One had pictures of various plants and animals tacked up, although, [Name] had never seen these types before. Never before had she seen flying fish that swam in the air rather than water, nor did she ever see a vampiric, carnivorous tree of all things.

Was she even on Earth anymore? [Name] wasn't sure. But these kinds of animals were not common where she was led to believe she lived.

"...And we should be recording."

[Name] flinched at the sudden voice, one of which that she recognized belonging to the man named Henry from her dream. She looked at the mahogany-wood desk in the center of the office, startled to find that the white-haired man was, in fact, now sitting at that desk.

"So..." he mused, leaning back in his chair. "Welcome to the void, whoever you are. I'm not exactly sure who's seeing this. But if you can see this at all, then you should have that trait." He waved his hand. "Take a seat."

[Name] almost wanted to reply that she couldn't move her lower body, but then, as if forcefully taken by the head, she was thrown onto a chair that had seemingly materialized beneath her. She glared at Henry through narrowed eyes, but then she realized that this was probably a recording - no, it was a recording. Henry did say that he didn't know who was seeing this, and that sentence at the beginning confirmed her thoughts.

"Alright, so first things first, this is a recording," Henry said, folding his fingers, "so no questions allowed. Just pray that I answer them during my lecture, and if I don't, that's your problem. Don't come crying to me, because I'm probably dead."