05 | Choose Wisely

The bus ride to The Hub is awkward. I usually cannot ride due to being factionless but I was spared the long walk today because it is the day... the day of the choosing ceremony. Practically the last day I'd see any of my family for years to come. That thought hurts my heart, but I'm distracted by other factions getting on the bus. I'm glad I chose to stand and lower the chances of a Candor or Erudite talking down at me.

My backpack feels heavy with the memories of my life before today. Inside I have clothing and gifts from my family. A sweater from my ma, a letter from baba, a story and doll from Ada, Tammi's favorite jacket, a pocket knife from David, and my aunts gave me notebooks and things to write with... I suppose they knew I'd be overthinking everything.

Even though Tamino didn't seem to have completely forgiven me when he hugged me goodbye, I try to think that he was going to be okay soon. I think I would rather have him fine without me than angry and bitter... even if I want them to miss me, it's better they don't.

The ache in my nail beds agrees with that thought. My stingy brain leads to nail-biting and pain that could last days. I squeeze the handle harder as the bus rounds a corner sharply. I wish I could just get this day over with, finish initiation, make it into Dauntless, and live my life... but everything seems to be going so slowly.

With each stop, the bus gets more and more congested with people. I feel so out of place in my clothing. Each piece is from a different type of faction... a grey Abnegation shirt, black Dauntless jacket, Candor slacks, and standard Amity shoes... I look like a mosaic of all the factions. And I can't forget the fact that I seem to be the only Muslim on the bus... sweat trickles down the back of my neck and I take a deep breath in.

I can hear everyone's conversations, it's nerve-wracking... the Candor kids that are my age talk loudly and with confidence. I see a pair of Erudite reading with glasses (that are probably fake). A familiar face among the crowd makes me suppress a scowl, the Prior family has been around my whole life.

Feeding and clothing the Fractured when it suits them. They're not the only offenders, Abnegation as a whole are frauds. The daughter looks my way and I notice how nervous she looks, I have a feeling she's going to do something. (I can't guess what but she looks like she's going to vomit.) They're all standing like I am, they gave up their seats to be selfless when they could have stood from the get-go...

I look away from the girl and instead focus my attention on the scenery as we pass it. The closer to the hub we get, the taller the city feels. Fewer trees litter my view as it becomes a concrete palace. I lean so I can see the top of the hub and its fork-like prongs... my eyes strain as I do so but I don't mind.

Before I know it, the bus has rolled to a stop and everyone (except the Abnegation) piles off to get with their factions. I wonder where I'm supposed to go? Do I wait for everyone to go inside before me? Or do I try (and fail) to blend in with the crowd? I sigh to myself and begin to exit the bus, the Prior family behind me. I can almost feel their eyes on my back.

"Would you like to walk with us?" A woman-- Mrs. Prior --asks me. I tense up at the offer. It would be easier to go with them and the rest of the Abnegation but I can't stand them.

"Um, no thanks," I say before walking toward the hub. No one will care if I just walk in, right? Too bad I don't know how to get around, I twist around toward the family again, "Actually can I? I've never been here before?" My fake tone feels natural and it scares me.

The father, Arthur, I think his name is, nods. "Of course, come on, we'll show you the way."

I stand beside the daughter and she just nods at me. The Abnegation take the stairs all the way up to the auditorium. Everyone walks in sync it seems... everyone but me. My boots clap on the ground during the beat of silence between their steps. It makes my cheeks burn as I sense eyes on me. Well, of course, they're looking at me, they can't think of themselves so they look at me, the weirdo!