𝐶𝐻𝐴𝑃𝑇𝐸𝑅 𝑆𝐼𝑋𝑇𝐸𝐸𝑁

CHAPTER SIXTEENTHE BEGINNING OF THE END

CHAPTER SIXTEEN
THE BEGINNING OF THE END

Jess's stomach churned violently as she stared at a house tucked away from the gravel road and nestled in a meadow

Jess's stomach churned violently as she stared at a house tucked away from the gravel road and nestled in a meadow. It had a long driveway with a mailbox painted with Driscoll on the side of it.

In her hands, she grasped a rat. A squirming, furry rat. Without any control of her body, she bent down and let the rat run towards the house and watched it squeeze through a hole at the base of the house.

Good, It praised.

It terrified her. She didn't want to listen to It, but what else could she do? She wondered what Billy was doing now. Couldn't have been better than what she was doing.

With a heavy sigh, Jess trudged back down the path and headed for the pool.

-

Jess made it to work a bit late, but she was able to be behind the counter when Cory came in. She was sweating heavily, squinting at the bright sun whenever it hit the lobby. This is why she opted to wear a red swimsuit with workout shorts instead of the pool jacket.

"Woah," Cory gawked at Jess' appearance. "You sure you're alright? I don't want to force you to work after what happened."

"I'm fine," Jess had to control the urge to hyperventilate when the temperature started to rise.

"Seriously, Jess, you don't look well— "

"I'm fine!" Jess's voice cracked and she started to slip off of the stool she was sitting on. She finally stood up and started to limp to the locker rooms. Maybe a cold shower will cool her down.

Jess got halfway, having to stop near the storage where they kept the lifeguard training equipment. She had a strange urge to drink some of the chlorine that was in there but she stopped herself by grasping the wired door and hanging on for dear life.

Her legs gave out and the only thing holding her up were her fingers that grasped the wire. Jess gasped, swallowing as much oxygen as she could into her lungs.