89

☀︎

Inching closer to the light source, a foul hand abruptly clamps over my mouth from behind. The grip this stranger has on me is impossibly firm, I fight against the force and try to grab some of my weapons to no avail. My body is being dragged down a different direction, the tall ceilings change to a more confined space and I keep fighting against the stranger.

"Stop struggling," The rumbling voice seethes and it only prompts me to keep going. 

My hands strike against his frame, the odor emitting from his body has bile growing in my throat. He fucking stinks. That thought distracts me when three masked men speed in our direction, some of them grasping my arms and legs. The knife in my boot slices against my skin, because of one of the strangers' tight grip on my ankle. 

After what feels like an eternity they open a door to the right, tossing me onto the concrete floor and locking the door behind me. I recognize the space instantly, my eyes search and I spot the chair Xavier was tied to in the video they sent. Now there's only a pool of blood left, no sign of him or Joseph anywhere. 

A shudder tortures my spine when I pull the knife out from my skin underneath the boots. It makes no sense why they threw me in here, perhaps a mind game, they might think I fear the sight of his blood. Blood doesn't equal him being dead, he isn't dead.

I need to be rational about this, they could unquestionably keep me cooped up in here for days. Driving me crazed with the thought of what they did to him, depriving me of sleep and food, not communicating with me at all. 

Somehow, I need to catch their attention. 

Scouting out the room, I examine the cameras in every corner of the ceiling, they're observing me. Discreetly fiddling with my bun, I pull out a small knife and stand up in the middle of the room. Flashing the object towards every camera in here. 

"I'll kill myself," I declare with no emotion, the insignificance on my voice as welcome as ever. "I have no reason to be alive. Zanto is dead, I killed Carlos and Dracona. Death is much easier for someone like me."

What I'm speaking is the unadulterated truth. 

According to them, I should believe that I did kill Dracona that day. Although I didn't, he's presumably the one behind these cameras. Watching and observing my every move. They aren't stupid either, they need some confirmation that I'm not deceiving them. 

They aren't dumb, but I'm not naive either. Ordering me out here was too much of a gamble for them, if they truly wanted me to die they could've killed me the second I stepped into this building. And yet they decided to throw me in here with nothing to do, there's something more to this.

What the hell am I missing?

Deciding to do the only thing I can think of, I drag the knife vertically down my wrist, dodging the thing that would've killed me by a couple of inches. Blood seeps from the stinging cut and the door opens immediately, a man with a mask disguising the upper half of his face steps into the room in caution. 

"What the fuck are you doing?" He ejects at me. 

"So stupid," I tut at him, hopelessly ignoring how much my wrist is burning. "If you come barging in here, I'm pretty damn sure you know exactly what I'm doing. Now, leave and allow me to kill myself in peace."

He steps closer to me, now with the knowledge of me having a weapon, "What is it you want?"

I groan before answering him, "Fuck, you seriously are a dumb bitch. Why do you think I came here in the first place?" 

"Romano isn't here anymore," He states, the southern accent surprises me momentarily. 

"Oh, my eyes must need an upgrade, I was almost certain I witnessed him in here a second ago," I literally can't control my mouth, but the sarcasm does distract me from my aching wrist. 

"What do you want?" His voice sounds utterly done with me.

"Isn't that the question I should be asking?"

"Well, you aren't."

Raising an eyebrow at him, "Not much goes by your nose, now, does it?"

"No, I can also see that you're bleeding out," He points towards my wrist, my hand is entirely covered in blood by now. 

"Well, let's thank the heavens, shouldn't we?"

"Throw the weapon away," He commands and I act reluctant. 

"No thanks."

"Throw the fucking knife away!" He shouts at me and I seem frightened, tossing the knife into the other end of the dark room. 

He smirks at me and steps closer, the only part of his face I can see is the bottom one, "Eloisa Martinelli, all defenseless and fatigued from loss of blood. I am one lucky man."

He definitely doesn't know me, I'm not stupid enough to bring one fucking knife with me in here. The idea of them underestimating isn't unexpected, but this time I accept it and relish in what that could lead to. They won't suspect anything once I pounce. 

The stranger steps closer and my heart starts pounding again, I can deal with a lot, but having a man inch up on me when I feel a bit fatigued will always get to me. Past experience is enough for my fist to clench in revulsion. 

He doesn't get to come any closer before yet another man walks into the room, anonymous as well. The first dude stands down from me and I rid some of the tightness in my body. They're giving me such disgusting vibes. 

"You aren't allowed on this one," The new dude says. 

He barely looks at me before he fixes my wrist, bandaging the skin and tightening it a little too much. My brain works too quick, scenarios appearing before they vanish again. I must've been here for around twenty or thirty minutes, meaning that Marc will be here soon enough. Usually, there will only be two guards watching over a victim, which must be these two. 

In case I'm mistaken, I have enough bullets to kill all of the guards inside the small room with a lot of screens. That room must be placed across the hallway from this one, that's the standard practice of these rooms anyway. 

The stranger fixes my wrist and as they turn their backs to me, I grab my gun from the holster and shoot both of them in the back of the head. They drop to the floor instantly, my blood pounds in my veins and I move out of the room. Closing the door behind me to decrease the attention if anyone walks by. 

 Now, I need to find Xavier and Joseph without anyone killing me off.