(22) I Do

You threw a piece of pottery across the room, watching it smash to bits against the hard floor of your bedroom. You were mad...no...furious. You always knew this day was coming but...not so soon. The day of your wedding.

From the day of your birth you were betrothed to Prince Ahkmenrah. You never minded when you were younger, because the thought of marriage always seemed so far away, like the sun on the sandy horizon. But now...it was here. Your servants had already dressed you in your wedding garments and jewelry, and in just a few minutes you'd be escorted to the princes palace for the wedding. You began breathing heavily as you leaned against a pillar.

This can't be happening...I can't marry a man I've never met!! You think in a panic.

"Your majesty?"

You look up to see a young guard at the door. "Yes?" You ask, putting on a fake calm mask.

"I'm here to escort you-are you alright?" He asks, looking at your awful state.

"In all honesty...no. I'm not ready to marry a stranger. I know how selfish it is. I mean, this is my one job as royalty! To marry off to some prince.."

"Your majesty...if I may...I don't think that it is selfish to feel that way. It may be your job, but it's a job that you never chose. I'm sure that the prince feels the same way."

"Really?" You ask, skeptically.

The guard holds out his hand for you to take, and you gently place your hand into it. "Really." He says with a soft, comforting smile.

As the two of you walk down the halls of the palace, you glance up at the guard again and study his face. He was very handsome. "I don't think I've seen you around before." You state. "What's your name?"

"My name is Ahk-mun! Yes, I am Ahkmun. I was recently transferred here." He says, not making eye contact with you.

You are confused by his actions, but Ignore them and continue walking. As the two of you step outside of your palace, you gaze back up at the home you grew up in. The chances of you ever returning were extremely low.

Ahkmun helps you into your seat, and smiles. "Good luck your majesty." He says. "I look forward to when our paths cross again."

You smile and nod, as the servants begin leading you to the palace of your future husband. Your parents greet you, and your mother takes your hand in her own. "I'm so proud of you, (yn)."

You force another smile onto your face. "Thankyou mother."

A couple of hours later, you and your family arrive on the front steps of your fiancé's palace. It's a grand building, made of expensive, and rich materials. You gaze at it in awe, before your parent usher for you to follow them. You walk into a large room with two golden thrones up against the back wall. A pharaoh and his wife are seated there, awaiting your arrival. One of the servants at the door announces your arrival.

"Your Majestys, King (Fathers name), Queen (Mothers name), and their daughter, Princess (yn)." He announces.

The pharaoh stands up and walks over to greet your parents. "(FN), Wonderful to see you again!" He exclaims, his booming voice echoing around the room.

"And you as well Your highness."

"Why the formality? Just address me as Merenkahre. In just an hour we'll be United by our
Children." The pharaoh says, smiling at you.

You nervously smile back, feeling the worry come back again.

"Let's head over to the wedding hall."  Queen Shepseheret says with a pleased tone.

(Quick note: I have absolutely no clue how Egyptian weddings work, so I just chose to make the wedding a modern style one with the bride walking down the isle, etc.)

:-:-:-:-:-:-:

You stare down at the bouquet of cornflowers in your hands. You could hear the music starting up outside-your cue to leave-but your feet felt as though they were stuck to the floor. You take a deep breath, and slowly push the door open, using every fiber of your very being to move forwards down the row of flowers. You don't dare look up at your future husband, as you are much to afraid.

After what feels like centuries, you finally reach the platform and slowly walk up the stone steps. As you reach your position, you only stare at the flowers in your hand. Your body was visibly shaking.

"You look stunning."

Your head jerks up. You knew that voice. You look at the man in front of you. The guard. Ahkmun. He gave you the same warm smile you received from him only a few hours ago when you first met.

"Prince Ahkmenrah. Do you take Princess (yn)-"

You tune out the priests words and continue to stare at Ahkmun. He was really Ahkmenrah!? You absolutely couldn't believe it. It was really him. He must've pretended to be a guard to get to know you better before the wedding. Maybe he was even nervous just like you. You smile as Ahkmenrah winks at you.

"Princess (yn)?"

You snap from your thoughts to turn to the priest who is looking at you expectantly. "Well? Do you take Prince Ahkmenrah as you husband?" He asks.

You turn back to Ahkmenrah. He softly smiles. You look at the crowd who all stare at you expectantly. 

You clear your throat. "My apologies." You say. "I do."

A half an hour ago those two words would've been lies. Words only to benefit two countries. Empty words with no real love.
But now, you meant it with your whole heart.

"Then you may kiss the bride!"

You step towards the prince and join your lips, feeling as though you were on top of the world.