Chapter Twenty-Three

It didn't take long for both Tyrese and Faith to take notice of Ezra's outburst, Faith had insisted on locking Ezra back in the spare room once again as she continued to question him thoroughly, Jay insisted that China remained outside of the room during the interrogation.

Nikki had tended to North's bruised face, as Winter paced back and forth down the hallway. Tyrese had volunteered to stay and keep watch over the amped up girls since everyone else was pretty occupied.

"I'm sure it'll be over soon, if Faith is accepting of the answers he gives." Tyrese said to Winter.

"He just got his memories back! He should be recieving the answers not giving them!" Winter fussed as her pacing came to a stop, China had her back against the wall, sitting on the floor while she had her knees up, impatiently tapping at her kneecaps. Tyrese had his back against the wall as well, but on the other side of the door, his arms folded across his chest as his foot crossed over one another.

"I'm sure they'll let us in soon..." Tyrese reassured them both, he glanced down at China.

"Faith may be a little angry with you, she knows you snuck out." He added, "I guess this incident is saving you from her verbal assault." He explained in a laid back manner, China grinned but this time, it seemed a little forced.

Winter interjected the conversation, "What is up with her? It's like she's got everyone on a leash around here!" Winter complained as she thrown her hands up in frustration.

"I'm sure that Faith is just looking out for everyone." China piped up, Winter sucked in a deep breath as she turned to face China, who gave her a meek smile.

Winter sighed, "You try to see the good in everyone...don't you?"

China didn't flinch, "That's because there's good in everyone, even the ones who don't show it."

China had a point, a hardly hitting point but her perception of people had always been in a positive light...which often gets her into trouble a lot more than deemed necessary.

Tyrese pressed a finger to his lips, hushing them both. "I promised Jay that I'd keep you two tamed at the moment."

China rose up to her feet, shocking Winter in the process as she pumped her fists energetically. "That's right!" She eagerly exclaims. "Jay-"

"China, please." Tyrese interrupted her, "I know that you care for Ezra but acting on emotions right now will make this worse." Tyrese explained, China slightly lowered her arms but she didn't seem to be fazed by Tyrese's words.

"How about this?" Tyrese began, catching the attention of the Ambrose girls. "You go grab some food in the kitchen and relax, I'll holler if something extreme happens and you can come in and be Ezra's last minute lawyer."

China nodded eagerly, her hand escaping toward her stomach, "That sounds good, if you don't eat, you'll die." China stated, earning a confused look from both Winter and Tyrese.

China turned on her heel swiftly, looping her arms with Winter's as she continued to drag her down the hallway. "Come on Winter, I wanna see how much sandwiches you can stuff down all at once."

Frightened, Winter began to protest. "China I don't think-"

"I don't see any harm in having a little fun." Tyrese stated with a warm grin.

Winter glanced back at Tyrese and shot him a glare as the two girls continued their way into the kitchen. He stifled his laugh behind his hand as the girls disappeared in the other room.

--

Ezra had his back against the cold wall, his vision slightly blurred as he slowly began to tune out the voices of the tall Asian woman and the man who had earlier ripped Ezra off the redheaded boy. Ezra felt as if his head was spinning, his heart hammered itself against his ribcage as he held his hands in tight fights, his knuckles whitened by the second.

"Are you listening?" The shrill voice of the woman forced him to focus back into the chaotic situation that he somehow got plunged in.

Ezra forced his lips to part, "Not really, but you're going to keep talking anyway aren't you?" He answered back snarkily. His tone was rather exhausted, full of dread instead of actual fear.

Her lips rolled into a thin line, her eyes filled themselves with fury. "Watch it. You don't want to piss me off kid." She threatened, her voice coated in venom.

"Tell us, who are you?" Jay asked in a much calmer tone compared to Faith.

Ezra's rough and calloused hand snaked it's way into his choppy blonde hair, "I told you, I'm Ezra Hendrix...my name didn't change over the last five minutes." Ezra responded irritably.

Jay grunted as he rolled his eyes, "How old are you kid?"

"Twenty, I'm supposed to be twenty by March..." Ezra answered back, his tone expressionless. The two exchanged looks, as if they were debating on whether or not make a comment about the response he had just given them.

Ezra felt a wave of uneasiness hit him, he stepped from the wall, clenching his fists. "Is there something I should know?"

"It's the beginning of October." Faith answered firmly, her eyes no longer blazed with fury, if anything, it was like there's nothing behind them.

"Where's my brother? Where the hell am I?" Michael demanded, the man slowly cut his eyes at the woman, he uncrossed his arms and slowly slid his hands into the pockets of his pants.

"I don't think he's putting up an act Faith..." Jay lowly grunted, his lips pursed into a thin line as his eyes gazed at the fair haired boy across from him.

"You tell him then Jay, I'm not good with this sort of thing." The woman who Ezra now presumed was Faith, grumbled.

Jay's light brown eyes glimmered with a hint of sadness, "I'm sorry...but when we found you, you were alone-"

Ezra cut him off, "You aren't making any damn sense. I was in my car...driving home from working then-"

His face paled as realization slowly hit him, the bile rose up in his stomach as his heart started pounding against his ribcage, harder this time.

"...What year is it?" Ezra asked quietly, his head bowed in defeat as his shoulders started to shudder. His sentence came out hesitantly, and regret immediately substituted his anger.

Jay took another step toward him, his words were subtle but grim. "It's 2024, four years since the corruption."

Ezra's blonde eyebrows knitted together. "Corruption...?" He repeated.

"The day the outsiders reaped nearly every single life on this planet."