22 - Staggering Law Suit.

Hello guys! Thank you so much for opening this chapter. There was a problem with the previous chapter (21); it published an unedited version to some people. My attention was called to it and it has been rectified.

So if you were reading chapter 21 and felt like hurling me through a window, I apologize 😅. It was a glitch. If you want to, you can go back to read it before proceeding to this chapter, I promise, the final, edited version is fun! Thank you!🤗😇

~

The silence that ensued was deafening. It was as if everyone was trying to decide if what Fiona had said was sensible or just blabber from a menopausal, old woman. They chose the latter.

"And so what?" Vivian screeched, angry. She seemed not to be able to swallow the fact that Fiona had stood up to her, for the first time in her life. "You're wasting my time." She added when Fiona didn't reply.

"She's wasting my time." Rodgers said.

"Can't you see it?"

"No, Fiona."

"Of course you can't Vivian you're a dimwit." Fiona snapped.

Vivian took threatening steps forward. "I will not have you speak to me in such a manner!"

Fiona looked up at Rodgers, ignoring Vivian. "If you are here with an arrest warrant for Devlin Gusev, then you would be arresting the wrong person because Devlin Gusev is dead. The man standing before you here is Leo. I believe I don't need to fill in the gap further."

"Son of a bitch." Campbell cursed bitterly, getting the drill.

Rodgers looked at Campbell. "What?"

"Honey, don't tell me you're listening to this insane woman?"

"To be honest Vivian, the only insane person here is you. You find it hard to grasp simple analogies."

"What is simple about the balderdash you are spewing?!" Vivian shouted. "He is Leo and not Devlin and so what? We all know that!"

Devlin smiled smugly from where he stood. Fiona was doing exceptionally well. He had totally envisioned this happening -- someone finding him, his arrest and all that. But he had thought to give his evidence before a grand jury and humiliate Rodgers but his mother had jumped the gun. Could he blame her though? She was a fast thinker and but he loved her for it. He especially loved the confusion it was causing.

"Devlin," Pamela whispered to him.

He looked at her and smiled. "Just watch."

"Why don't you explain what you mean?" Rodgers asked tightly.

"With all pleasure." She glanced at Devlin and Pamela before taking a deep breath. "You came here to arrest Devlin Gusev, not Leonid Chernyshevsky. Devlin Gusev is dead. He died and was buried in the United States, therefore arresting the man standing here is wrong. It will only be dismissed as a case of mistaken identity."

Rodgers' angry gaze flickered towards Devlin and Devlin winked at him. He balled his fists and faced Fiona. He looked scary, like a lion would to a lamb. But Fiona was no ordinary lamb. She was looking straight at him, unwavering, strong. Devlin had never felt more proud.

"And how are you certain of this claim? What proof do you have?" He leaned in and lowered his voice. "And trust me housekeeper, you will get your share of a jail cell if it turns out you're just wasting my time."

Fiona laughed. "Is that a threat?"

"Yes." He snapped. "Your proof?"

"It's simple. He is my son."