S1 E2: Strike First

Edited January 1, 2022

***

 "Camila, have you heard from Miguel?" my mother asked, and I shook my head. Lie. 

 "Uh, I think he said he was at a debate team meeting?" I answered. Lie. 

 I knew all-too-well that our neighbor, Johnny Lawrence-- we finally learned his name-- had agreed to teach Miguel karate. He offered to teach me too, but I would much rather find a job like a normal teenager. 

Miguel told me to tell our mother that he was on the debate team, to cover for him while Mr. Lawrence taught his how to not be a sissy. Obviously, I agreed. That just meant that my brother owed me. And so far, I haven't used any of Miguel's I.O.U's. Therefore, I had piles of Miguel's debt in my phone's notes. 

"I'm calling him. He should be home by now," Mom said, and I shrugged. The phone rang for a little bit, and finally I heard her voice questioning "Miggy, where are you? Are you okay? Well, let me know when it's over. I love you. Bye." 

 "Is he still at school?" I asked, receiving a nod in response. 

 "Help me with dinner?" 

 "Of course, mama," I smiled. 

School was the definition of hell. There was no where for me to sit at lunch, and I was friendless. The only person I had was Miguel. So I met him in the lunch line.  

 "Are you not eating?" he asked. 

 "No, I forgot my money," I told him, shrugging. 

 "You could always use an I.O.U," he smirked. 

 "And waste them? No way," I smiled. "It's all right. I'm feeling a little sick anyway," 

 "How come? Is your anxiety acting up again?" he asked, quietly. I nodded. 

 "It's giving me a migraine, and I just want to sleep." Miguel frowned, and we walked toward a table. I scanned the room, seeing Kyler, the one who beat the shit out of Miguel, and his weirdo friends by the vending machine. I sighed. My eyes lit up when I saw a table consisting of only two students. "Let's sit there," I smiled. 

 Miguel and I walked over. "Is it cool if we sit here?" Miguel asked. 

 "Ooh, sorry, table's really blowing up right now," one of them responded. "I can put you on the waitlist, but it's probably next semester at the earliest." 

 "Okay," Miguel replied, and we turned to leave. 

 "No, I'm kidding. Sit," the boy said. I smiled at sat right beside my brother. 

"Miguel," my brother introduced. 

 "Camila. You can call me Mila if you want," I shrugged. 

 "Demetri. This is Eli. He's a man of few words," Demetri said. 

 "Nice to meet you both." I said. 

 "I mean...I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but shouldn't someone like you be sitting with the popular kids?" Demetri asked. I furrowed my eyebrows. 

 "Hm? Why would you think that?" I asked.

 "You're like...hot. And we're like..." 

 "That's silly, Demetri. Besides, who would want to be friends with them? They're all...not cool." I cringed over at Kyler and his idiot friends. "Seriously, they make me want to vomit, and re-eat it." Miguel shot me a disgusted look, putting his fork down on his tray, and pushing it away.