twenty.

chapter twenty

"I have no idea what I'm doing

"I have no idea what I'm doing."

"Just walk forward!"

"How do I do that?"

"W key."

"Don't laugh at me! Ok, I'm going. Oh! Who's that?"

"Uh... turn the mouse more. Oh, that's Karl."

"Is he nice?"

"Yes. Want to talk to him?"

"Sure."

Clay leans over her to type in the chat. After a moment, Karl moves into their voice channel.

"He-hello?" The new voice asks.

"Hello Karl Jacobs," she reads, her voice cheerful. "I like your Minecraft character."

"Uh...who is this?" Karl mutes almost instantly. Dream's phone lights up in a moment. Clay's smile at the interaction drops.

"Leave the call. Now." His voice is cold.

"What happened?" She asks quietly.

"He was streaming. Fuck." Clay leans back, rubbing his face. Irena's hands drop from the keyboard.

"Is that a bad thing?"

"Yes. He's got eighty thousand people watching who have no idea who the girl talking to him is. Karl doesn't even know who you are."

Clay stands suddenly, slapping the gaming chair away. Irena jumps at the loud noise. She hears his bedroom door slam across the hall.

His discarded phone is still unlocked on the table. Unlocked and showing the incoming call from George. She ignores it.

"Clay?" She knocks on his door. The handle is locked. "Clay will you let me in?"

There's no answer. Patches rubs against her legs, curious at the commotion. Irena is starting to feel the panic that's oozing from under the door. It hurts like hell that he won't let her in to help him fix this.

"Please," she begs. "You can fix it now. The longer you let it go..." No response. She goes back to his phone.

"Irena?"

"George what do I do?"

"Ok so that wasn't intentional?"

"No."

"You need to find out if he wants Karl to delete the vod."

Irena returns to the door.

"Clay. If you won't speak to me will you you talk to George?"

The door opens. Clay holds his hand out for the phone. Irena's heart hurts when the door closes again. He doesn't lock it but she gets the message. She's not welcome right now.