S1 E4: Cobra Kai Never Dies

Edited January 1, 2022

***

After Mr. Lawrence carried my brother home from the school, my mother was beside herself. She told Johnny to stay away from Miguel and I, even though I had nothing to do with karate from the start. My heart was broken for my brother, though. Mama did not understand his love for the sport. Without karate, Miguel felt weak, and only I knew that, because I could read him like a book. He's my twin brother. I am him, in a way. 

 "Here. Hold this ice on your ribs," Mama gave Miguel the ice, and he put it on his ribs, just like she said. I played with my brother's hair, as I stood behind him where he was sat on the couch. 

 "Oh, thanks," he said. 

 "Miggy, why don't you tell me who did this? I'll call the school. They can protect you." 

"It'll only make things worse, mama," Miguel replied. 

"Worse than this?" 

"Mom, you don't understand. It wasn't like this when you were our age. No where is safe for any teenager anymore," I explained. My brother nodded. 

 "If I just had more lessons, then maybe I'll--" 

"No!" 

"It's not Sensei Lawrence's fault. I just--I just wasn't ready." Miguel said. 

"Mama, Miguel is so good at karate. He loves it," I explained. 

"No. No more karate. I can't believe you both have been lying to me." Mama said. 

"Because we knew you'd think it's crazy. But mama, it's making him stronger. Okay, he had one bad fight--" she cut me off. 

"I don't want him fighting at all! And that goes for you too, mija. What did you do to your hand, young lady?" she yelled, and I shrugged. 

"I--I punched this girl." Mom looked at me, and so did Miguel.  "But only because she posted this!" I showed her the photo. "This is why Miguel wants to learn to defend himself, Mama! Don't you see what our generation has come to?" she sighed. 

"Carmen, cuál es el problema aquí?" Yaya asked, coming into the living room. "Encontró algo que le gusta hacer," 

"Look at him!" Mom ordered her in Spanish. 

"Lo veo!" my grandmother replied. "Lo que necesita es practicar, verdad? Mantanar las monos, proteger la cabeza..." 

"Mama, este hombre es una mala influencia," Mama replied. I sat beside Miguel, watching them argue. 

 "He is not! You don't know him," Miguel defended. 

"I know he's a loser," Mama said. 

 "He is not a loser," Miguel said. "If you knew him, you'd see he's a great man." 

 I pulled into the LaRusso Auto Group parking lot, with my head held high. Okay, so I may have pulled in on my bike, but whatever. At least I made it. 

 I held the papers in my hands, and pulled the doors open. I went over to the front desk with a smile. "Hi, I have my application," I said. "I'm Camila Diaz?" 

 "Right, we've been expecting you. Mr. LaRusso spoke very highly of you the other day," the woman was very nice, well-dressed, and a smile stayed stamped on her face. I grinned. 

 "I'm glad to hear that," I said. 

"Mrs. LaRusso will be with you in just a moment," she said, and I nodded.