~TWO~

•°|°|°|°|°|°•

"See the light in each other. Be the light for each other."
                      °•|•|•|•|•|•°

                          ¶ AYO¶

I stood at the door of SSS3 Commercial that Monday morning, noticing every single different detail about it than we left it during the summer classes/ GCE break.

It wasn’t so different though. The only thing was that, the walls were painted a darker shade of yellow— almost amber and the desks and chairs looked like they were new or probably just really washed well.

The ceiling remained its usual dull color of white and the white boards were just cleaned. If anything, the class looked neater. I reminded myself that it’d be like that just for two days in the first week of resumption.

I looked around the entire class filled up with my classmates that I’d spent almost three years with or should I say, six? They were seated in groups, laughing and talking about whatever they could.

With my hands in my pocket, I entered fully into the classroom and gave a nod, signaling greeting to some of my classmates close to the entrance.

At one part of the classroom too, I sighted a group of my classmates, talking and I knew MJ was around when I heard his loud voice yell;

“Guyyyy that commerce question was effing med gan! Aswear!”

And then his loud, deep voiced and maniacal guffaw followed right after.

I smiled and shook my head.

Monjola Taiwo never did learn how to be quiet even though we’ve been best friends since primary five. To be fair, I never learned how to be loud either.

Loner me had no friends although I was never really one to socialize. I was an extreme introvert but one day, MJ almost got into trouble for an assignment with a teacher. I helped him and since then, he never let go of me.

I found the seat assigned to me by the class teacher and put my bag on the desk. That was when he saw me.

“Bruvvvvvvv!” 

He hopped out of the place he sat and jumped to where I was. Literally. And he caught a lot of attention even as he did because everything was so loud.

Heads turned, some were shook while some mouths laughed and others’ just hissed, knowing it was MJ and they were probably already used to him.

“NIGGA!” He yelled again, as he finally got to me.

I actually winced at the sound of his voice very close to me. I would never get used to this.

“Mother--” I did not allow him to finish his sentence before I cut him off. Another thing about him was that he swore a lot. Too much.

“I heard you the first time, you know,” I said as we did our infamous bro handshake. One that we made up because we watched Peter Parker in Spiderman— Homecoming, do it with his best friend.

Monjola had grown his hair real full during the break and decided not to cut it. His beards were out, meaning he did not want to shave. His eyes looked as bright as usual and his uniform was wrinkled a little with his white shirt tucked out, his tie undone and round his neck and the school’s customized jacket cardigan, rolled up along its sleeves, worn around his uniform shirt.  

“Omo, you don fresh oh! See as you dey shine!” He touched my chin.

“Abeg, commot your hand.” I shrugged his hand off my chin. “No dey whine.”