Chapter 8

Ae-Young's P.O.V.

Fantastic, absolutely fantastic. I did not get to sleep at all, my headache would not cease for even a minute, and on top of that, I had this weird sick feeling that I've never felt before.

I feel completely drained of energy, that I can barely even walk around my own apartment to make a cup of tea, without needing to sit down for a minute. I don't know how I'll be able to work in this state, I'm completely wrecked. I honestly don't think I can....

I walked over to where my phone was, took it in hand, and sat on the ground leaning against the nearest wall. I unlocked my phone, and quickly found the number of my boss. I clicked onto it quickly, and waited quietly until my boss finally picked up, my quiet and uneven breathing being the only thing to be heard in the room.

"Ae-Young, hello." My boss' voice stated, in a rather joyful tone. "If you're wondering what we're doing today, we actually have a very busy day ahead of us-

"I'm really sorry, but I can't come in today...." I began, speaking rather slowly. "I feel absolutely terrible...."

"What do you mean? You seemed fine just yesterday...." My boss queried, making me sigh lightly.

"I don't know what's going on, I just know that there'll be no way I can concentrate today, if I come in." I tried to explain. "And you know me. I barely ever take a sick day, and when I do, it's only ever if I'm feeling extremely bad."

"It's okay, I can have someone cover you for today. Just rest up, and let me know later, if you'll be able to make it tomorrow." My boss finally said, after a minute or two of silence.

"Thank you! I'll do my best to recover quickly." I replied, hearing a him in response, before the call ended.

I put my phone down, as I curled up into a ball. All I could do, was pity myself. That probably sounds stupid, and almost a little selfish. But the state I was in, was the only thought that roamed in my mind. Second after second, minute after minute, hour after hour, my mind could never concentrate on anything else. It's as if my body, mind, soul....whatever it was, it wasn't letting me do, or think of anything else. I was....trapped.

I gave a small chuckle, as I thought of it again. The thought of just, being unwell, made me feel trapped...? What was this, a k-drama? This almost feels surreal, as if this was a part I was playing in some alternate universe in a drama, that for whatever reason was made to be exaggerated. Only, it wasn't. This shit was real.

I unlocked my phone again, wanting to put on some music to make me feel more at ease. And so, I did. It in no way helped, but it did distract me a little. The only problem was, I received a call, which interrupted this. I looked back at my phone, and quickly answered once I recognised the number.

"Hey Soomin...." I said into the mic, with a small sigh.

"Are you okay? You're usually at work by now, are you running a little late?" Soomin asked, slightly worried. She knows I'm never late for work. When I was younger, my family would always be the late ones to events, so I always made sure to be on time, because I hated the feeling of being teased for not showing up at the right time for such things.

"No, not really." I admitted. I would've told told her I'm doing fine, that I was just not going to work today due to stress, so as not to worry her. But I know Soomin would never buy that. And also, I kind of want to tell her how I'm feeling.

"What's the matter, are you sick?" She asked, with a worried tone evident in her voice. I took a few second to organize my thought, before I could say anything. "Ae-Young?"

"I'm here, I just need a minute to think." I replied, as I begun to think of what to say. "I don't really know how to explain, how I'm feeling. It's tiredness, but I know I'm not that tired, I may not have slept, but I know my body is able to run on far fewer hours of sleep than I've had this week. It's also a lack of energy, even though I can feel that I do have the energy, though it's just like I can't use it. But at the same time, it's also a sick feeling, that I've never experienced before. All of it....it's different. And, very overwhelming."

"Ae-Young....I don't think you need me to tell you what's going on." Soomin replied, after she was sure I had finished. I sighed lightly, my eyes watering up now. "You know what this is, don't you?"

"Soomin, I-I....I just don't want to accept it, if it is this." I replied, letting out a small sob, at the thought of it. "I don't want this." I whispered quietly, as the tears fell from my cheek.

"Not everyone bonds the same way, it's different for every person. The same way, that it could be different for you and your soulmate. Don't let your past views, and that one experience shadow over everything good it can be." Soomin spoke softly, as more tears streamed down my face.

She was right. Just because I've seen one bad situation, due to the results of soulmate bonding, it doesn't mean every bond will be the same. But what if it is? What if, the same thing happens to me? What could I do with myself then? I would never be the same again, if a similar thing were to happen to me....

A/N Hello~ I hope you liked this chapter!

So, I bet this leaves you with a few questions.... However, all I can say is that you'll find out along the way.

I also just wanted to explain a bit, as to why this character is written the way she is.

I've read a fair few soulmate au stories, and most of them barely touch on the downsides of soulmates. I thought it would be a nice touch, if I showed both the good and bad sides of soulmate bonding as evenly as I could. I know there hasn't been too much to show on the positive end of the spectrum up to now, but it most definitely will show as the story progresses. I just want there to be balance in the two, overall.

As always, thank you for reading, and I really hope you enjoyed the chapter~~ Until next time, I purple you~!! 💜💜💜