Prologue

Please take note that if you are reading this story on any other platform other than Wattpad, you are very likely to be at risk of a malware attack. If you wish to read this story in its original, safe form, please go to: https://www.wattpad.com/user/Keri8794

******

He's here! After nine months, three weeks and two days of waiting, he finally arrived! I couldn't hold my excitement in any longer. I had skipped my two afternoon lectures just to see him. I needed to. I had rushed off campus and into my car just to beat the mid-afternoon rush and, thankfully I had. I left my car windows wide open and revelled in the stuffy humid breeze that hit my damp face as I drove. My long nutmeg curls tickled my cheeks and occasionally collided with my teeth, while I sang along to my radio. The city of Johannesburg flew past me while I let my right arm rest on the hot door in the hopes that the blistering South African summer sun would colour my once pale winter skin. The highways were empty and soon I was nearing the all too familiar landscape of city complexes.

I turned down the steep hill and made sure to apply pressure to the brake as the cars speed increased. Once I reached the bottom of the hill I made a sharp left turn and soon the large maroon palisade gates reached my view. I leaned over through my open window and quickly punched in the password I had memorised two years ago. The heavy skyscraper gates opened ever so slowly, only further testing my patience. I put my tiny Volkswagen into first gear and drove through the parking lot until I reached the visitors parking for unit 306. After ensuring my car was in a shady spot and all my windows were closed, I rushed up the twenty steps until I came nose to nose with the cement coloured door. I didn't bother to knock as I quickly shoved my key into the lock and pushed the door open with a bang.

"Maggie Marie Becket let me see my godson!" I shouted as I closed the door and walked through the narrow three step passageway. I was instantly greeted with loud squeals of a heartbroken new born.

"I swear Tori Carradale I am going to murder you!" Maggie's angry voice shot through the amplified wails.

"Crap! I am so sorry Maggie. I guess I shouldn't have screamed huh?" I whispered and crouched down on the lounge floor where Maggie sat cradling what looked to be a bundle of blankets. "You're going to boil him alive covered in that." I pointed out. Maggie shot me a murderous glare and quickly rocked the bundle gently in her arms while softly cooing. It wasn't long before the room fell into a peaceful silence again.

Maggie carefully placed the bundle into a baby car seat and quietly rose from the floor. She stretched her back by lifting her tiny frame as high into the air as possible, her cherry red hair falling with the motion until the ends hit the very tip of her bottom. She placed a finger on her pale pink lips and then motioned for me to follow her. We left the small room quietly until we were outside on the balcony. After taking a seat alongside Maggie, I turned to her anxious and confused.

"Shouldn't we be watching him?" I asked pointing behind me.

"No. I can hear him in case something happens so he'll be fine. I just need some fresh air and adult time." Maggie rested her head on the top of the chair and her eyes closed briefly.

"Do I get to meet him when he wakes up? I've only waited three days for you to get home from the hospital." I looked accusingly towards my exhausted best friend.

"I'm sorry about that by the way. You had that difficult essay to finish and my parents wanted to spend as much time with him as possible." She answered.

"It's okay. I have to thank you for that anyway. If I had been allowed at the hospital I probably wouldn't have finished the assignment. You always do know what's best for me." I teased.