Chapter 3

“Into the car you go. Come on.” I pushed down gently on Tommy’s legs until they were still and in his car seat. I buckled him in and then closed the car door. I rubbed my bare hands together roughly as I tried to take the sting away. Slowly their frigid state turned and they become warm and flexible. I sighed heavily and watched as a small white cloud shot out of my mouth from the action.

“Goodbye. I’ll make sure to come visit soon.” I reached to hug Mrs. Becket. Her lavender scent hit my nose as I hugged her tightly.

“Thank you Tori but it isn’t necessary. As much as I love my grandson, I need you to take all the time you need in adjusting.” I smiled and made my way towards Mr. Becket. His Old Spice cologne covered him like thick smog in the city centre. His embrace was warm and friendly as it always was. After all the goodbyes were made, I drove away and headed for the only place that ever made me feel safe.

The windows were closed and slightly fogged from the contrast of the warm heated interior and the icy exterior. I slowed my car to a steady stop at a Stop sign and quickly looked over my shoulder. Tommy sat sleeping peacefully in his chair with his mouth partly agape. The action reminded me so much of Maggie that my vision blurred suddenly as waves of sorrow hit me forcefully. A loud shrill blasted through my thoughts and I jerked my head towards the rear-view mirror where I could see an angry set of hands waving around in the car behind me. I shook my head and pressed on the accelerator.

I drove into my parents’ driveway and parked the car. Once I had Tommy safely in my arms, I made the dreaded ascend towards the front door. “Tori is that you?” My mother’s high pitched yell reverberated from the patio. I groaned and yelled in return. “Yes mother. Who else has keys to get into the yard?” My mother huffed and stomped her foot like a toddler during a tantrum.

“You do not need to be snarky. Now get out of this irritating cold and come have some warm coffee. I expect you to explain the addition you have as well.” I nodded. My mother could be warm and loving but she could also be cold and strict. Her polished black tailored skirt ran smoothly down her thin legs until the tips of her knees. Her tanned stockings thinned out over her knees and patches of blue could be seen. Her tight green turtleneck showed her impressive chest and added a subtle contrast to her dyed ivory hair.

“Here let me hold him.” My frustration towards my mother eased at the sight of her smile. I handed Tommy to my mother and watched her once stiff features turn soft and happy. “He really is beautiful. Looks so much like Maggie, don’t you think?” I smiled in return and pulled Tommy’s bag over my shoulder. I followed my mother into the heated house and closed the door behind me.

“Is dad home?” I asked.

“He’s in his study. He has a new case that has really been bugging him.” My mother replied and sat Tommy’s car seat with him in it on the chair alongside her. He lay asleep and warm in his blankets seeming completely unaware of the lady staring at him.

“So sweetie, you want to tell me about our new addition?” My mother asked. I threw my cold body down into the soft cushion of the only three-seater couch in the house. The rough texture rubbed against my dry skin creating a rather soothing warmth to appear.

“I’m his guardian.” My mother gasped.

“Is that why you had to meet the lawyer today?” I nodded in reply. “That certainly changes things. What happens now?”

I shrugged. “I have to keep him mom, he has no one else.”

“I know,” she stated. “I wouldn’t expect you to give him up. What I’m asking is what are you going to do now that you have a baby to look after?”