a new color

Tommy's POV:

When he woke up, he was immediately greeted by a sweet smell. 

It wasn't anything he was used to in hell, and as he actually took in his surroundings, he realized he wasn't in hell at all.

He was on... on Earth.

He was fascinated by the plants that weren't just shades of red. Here, they were a new color, a color he'd never seen before.

He rushed to the window, ignoring his soul-crushing pain, and looked at the sky, straining the cut on his neck in the process. The sky wasn't red either, it was lighter, and there was white in the sky too. It looked like the things inside pillows, he'd not know the name for it.

He never had anyone to teach him these things. The thought immediately saddened him. But looking at the sky seemed to do wonders in cheering the little eleven-year-old up.

"Isn't it pretty?" he heard a voice say behind him. He nodded his head in agreement, before realizing the voice wasn't in his head.

He jumped and turned around in shock, hitting his elbow on the desk next to him. 

"I'm sorry..." he cried, as the person who owned the voice tried to touch his shoulder.

"Don't be scared" the man whispered, but the eleven-year-old was scared to his core. 

"Don't trust anyone, there are no rules, he could kill you at any second, don't forget all the people you trusted who later stabbed you in the back" the voices played on repeat in his head, as he tried to back away from the person. He realized it was an actual human, and not a demon, which distracted his intuitive mind before he remembers and started to scream for help.

Forgetting about his throat, when he screamed, his throat stung, like it was on fire. Tears pricked his eyes as he fell to his knees and clutched his neck. 

The demon in the black mask, who he saw before, came from a small wooden door behind the earth creature, in a panic.

After taking in and assessing the situation, he ran towards the crying child and wrapped him in a hug.

Tommy fought and fought against the hug until he realized he couldn't get out. The paint he felt started to overwhelm him, and he found himself crying harder and harder, till he had no tears left to cry.

He relaxed against the hug, but when he felt like he was being picked up, he whimpered, remembering how he was thrown into the pit. He clinched onto the masked man, begging for them not to hurt him. He knew he couldn't handle it.

But the masked man didn't let go at all. In fact, he put Tommy back to bed, resting Tommy's head on his lap and his legs on his pillow.

It was odd, the feeling. Tommy never experienced what it was like being held by anything other than his neck or arm.

The others were painful. This one was quite the opposite.

As the masked man attempted to leave, Tommy held him in place tighter. Whatever this was, he knew he'd never get to experience it again since he always had to be on the move. He was a demon, it wasn't safe for him to stay in one place. But he wasn't ready to let go of the warmth he felt being hugged.

He slowly felt himself falling asleep in the stranger's arms.

---

When he woke up for the second time, the warmth was gone.

But he woke up to that sweet smell again. Following the scent, he came across this strange plant-looking thing, with a light red flappy looking thing.