𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 14

Days of extra brainwork to teach the third years math felt a lot like preparing for an entrance exam; exhausting and never-ending.

They had taken the quiz that would determine their fate in the volleyball club today. You expected everything went well from the smile on their faces, but at some point you heard Akaashi saying they weren't entirely convincing.

You arrived for practice with the quiz results in hand, given by the club advisor. Coach told you to keep the papers while he instructed the others to gather around for some important news.

"Everyone, I've been informed by Advisor sensei that we will be having a training camp in Hyogo. All thanks to our manager, who was able to receive the invite from Inarizaki's captain directly."

You nodded with a smile.

"It's a wonderful opportunity to have a training camp with a long-time powerhouse that has attended Nationals for three years consecutively. I want you all to not let this occasion go to waste. Gain new skills, overcome the enemy's strategy, and break their walls. Aside from that, I know you would make new friends easily."

The boys were already planning for what to do in Hyogo, seemingly forgetting that they weren't going for a vacation.

"Okay, calm down. We are still talking about other stuff. The third year's quiz result."

The moment he mentioned the quiz, the seniors of the team froze in place. Their depressing state cast a gloomy shadow over their juniors behind them.

"[surname], if you may."

You got up and handed him your clipboard. Coach adjusted his glasses while checking the papers.

"Don't run, Bokuto."

You turned to the team captain who was halfway from sprinting out of the gym. Komi grabbed the hem of his shirt to make him stay.

"All right, most of you third years are doing better. Bokuto, you barely passed but it's still better than failing."

Bokuto looked down, gripping Akaashi's sleeve.

"I-I tried, I swear! I was doing good on the first five numbers but then the questions started adding letters into the numbers. It confused me so much that I began making mistakes."

He explained in a remorseful whimper

"Well, good for you for trying, Bokuto. Try to maintain good scores so you won't be banned from practice."

"We'll work on it."

You and Akaashi spoke at the same time.

Coach Yamiji returned the clipboard to you and clapped his hands.

"Yosh! You have much to prepare before the training camp so let's continue with a 3-on-3."

──────────

You walked out of the alley and met Akaashi in front of the café. He was drinking from a soda can when he saw you came to him.

"Akaashi? What are you doing here?"

"Waiting for you. Sorry I didn't come inside, thought it might be better for you to work without disturbance."

"Oh... that's not a problem. Do you need anything from me?"

"Yes," he fixed his posture, "Care to take this afternoon walk with me?"

You thought he was about to discuss an important matter, hence the reason he came all the way here to meet you. Turned out it was for something simple that made you cracked up a smile.