Chapter 5 | Brotherly Love

The car ride back was quiet, Gia awkwardly trying to make conversation, but it only made Dylan roll his eyes, keeping his hard gaze on the road.

"We really appreciate you letting us stay at yours Dylan. You're a life saver," spoke Gia, running her hands through her knotty blonde hair.

I nodded, agreeing, looking over at Dylan who only nodded in response, his mind seeming to wander off somewhere else.

"Oh, shit, I left my dress at yours." I mumbled, chewing on my plump bottom lip.

"I'll have it dry cleaned and sent back to your house,"replied Dylan.

"Oh, thank you." I responded, causing Gia to raise her eyebrows at me, nodding, encouraging me. I was unsure of what to say to Dylan with Gia in the car.

"So, what made you want to go out clubbing last night?" asked Gia.

"Ethan dragged me out," said Dylan, pushing his foot down on the accelerator, sending the car shooting down the road towards Longline Lake.

"You're not much of a party animal?" I asked, already knowing the answer, but just wanting to make conversation.

"Only irresponsible Alpha's are," said Dylan, smirking slightly at me.

"I have to object!" exclaimed Gia, laughing. "There's always time for a party!"

"Excuse her," I laughed. "She's the bad influence in this friendship."

Dylan raised his eyebrow at me, causing me to shift in my seat. "And what about you?"

"Me?" I stuttered, swallowing.

"What would you say you are?" wondered Dylan, using his indicator to signal.

I cleared my throat awkwardly, dropping my gaze, thinking. "Um, I don't know."

"What was your childhood like?" my mate asked, taking me off guard.

"Um, I mean I had to grow up quickly, but overall it was okay," I replied, the words slipping out my mouth before I had properly thought about them.

I panicked, not wanting to come across as too heavy, but Dylan studied me as he pulled over to the side of the road next to the lake, his ocean blue eyes trying to read my emerald green ones.

"Um, thank you for the ride, Dylan," said Gia, pushing the car door open and clambering out, giving me one lasting look, seeming to want to give me some alone time with Dylan.

"Thank you for driving us; you really didn't have to," I spoke, grabbing the handle to the door, but Dylan cleared his throat, stopping me.

"What did you mean by that?" he asked, furrowing his brows.

"By what?" I questioned.

"When you said you had to grow up quickly."

I shrugged. "Um, I mean everyone has a little bit of family drama, don't they?"

Dylan scowled, not liking the way I was trying to shrug it off. He dragged his bottom lip into his mouth, sucking on it softly, observing me.

I sighed, knowing that Dylan wasn't going to let it go. "My mother left when I was young. My parents aren't mates, and after having kids, she found him, so she left us. My little brother was involved in a really bad accident after she disappeared, so I had to help my father look after him from a young age."

Dylan furrowed his brows, averting his gaze. I noticed his throat move as he swallowed, rubbing at his stubble. "When did you last see your Mother?"

I shook my head. "I haven't seen her since I was about thirteen."