preview

BECAUSE OF HAVEN BEACH
book 1 in hb universe

* * *

"The moon's really beautiful, if you think about it," I blurted.

"Yeah?" he asked, mild amusement and curiosity mingling in his voice.

"Yeah," I confirmed. "It's just— there's something about the moon that's ethereal. I don't really know how to describe it, but it's a constant in life. You can't always see it, but you have to trust that it's out there somewhere. And when you can see it, it's all bright and shiny and overcomes the darkness." I paused, searching for the right words. "I don't know. I guess it's a reminder that there are good things out there, even if you can't see them... And it's cool to think that someone hundreds of miles away is staring at the exact same moon as you. It makes me feel not so alone in life."

Turning my head, I saw him staring at me intently with a thoughtful look on his face.

"Too deep for a Friday night?" I laughed nervously, feeling my face grow hot.

And this was precisely why I didn't go to parties.

He shook his head and seemed to snap out of his daze. "It was deep in a good way."

* * *

SHE was quiet and left out. Part of a friend group because of convenience. Dealing with fighting parents at home. Looking for more in life. Always wanting to get away from Chicago and start over. Her parents' divorce gave her the perfect opportunity.

Ending up in Haven Beach, she rekindled relationships with estranged relatives and got the teenage experience she had always dreamed of. Midnight drives. Bonfires at the beach. Adventures every day. Friends who actually gave a shit. Because of Haven Beach, she found herself.

HE was a focused athlete—Haven Beach's golden boy. The 4 F's were all that mattered: football, friends, family, and food. All that changed when a quiet brunette moved to town. Because of her arrival in Haven Beach, his world shifted on its axis.

THIS is Charlotte and Eli's story.

* * *