NINE

"I don't fucking know, okay?!"

I gripped the steering wheel tensely. My head was pounding and I felt immediate regret. I couldn't see their face, but I knew they were dumbfounded by my yelling.

"Uhm... All I asked is if you wanted to stop and get something to eat. You could've just said no." Seiko stated quietly and slowly, as if they spoke too fast it would set me off again, "But let's just go back to my place. I'm sure I can make something there."

I tried to take a deep breath and release the tension in my hands, "Okay. Sorry."

"Yeah, it's whatever." They grumbled and turned on the radio.

This wasn't the first time I snapped at them over nothing today.

Three days.

It had been three days since I found out who Shoto—well Dabi, really is. I still hadn't been really able to fully process it. I didn't want to believe it, but in the end it added up.

The same day of the robbery he was hurt and hiding in an alleyway. His scars are identical to burn scars. He is so mysterious and wouldn't give me any of his personal information.

I'm so stupid.

Almost immediately after the news segment ended, I packed up some things, grabbed my animals and asked to stay at Seiko's for a few days. He knew where I lived, I needed to get away from him.

Seiko had let me come with few questions. I told them there was some last minute maintenance being done on my apartment building. I don't know if they bought it, but they didn't ask anything else.

The real problem was dodging his calls.

We had a date the same day I found out.

~Flashback~

Unknown Caller

I could feel the bile rise in my throat. For some reason I was hoping he'd just forget or blow me off. I really wasn't prepared for this conversation.

The phone continued vibrating in my hand. I knew it'd look bad if I didn't answer.

Sneaking into Seiko's bathroom, I closed the door, took a deep breath, and picked up.

"Hey." I forced out my work voice.

It felt shaky, but not too obvious.

"Hey." His deep voice replied.

Everything felt so foreign.

"So I'll be a little late, some stuff came up with my roommates, but I'm still comin—"

"—I can't do tonight." I cut him off abruptly, surprising myself.

I didn't actually have a plan of how to cancel, but I guess I was just going with this.

"Why?"

"I got called in for work. One of the other team members got really sick and they're short staffed. I'm really sorry! I have to go now. Bye." I stated as calmly as I could and hung up.

But as soon as I hung up I knew it looked bad. I should've given him time to reply. I sighed and hoped he bought it.

~End of flashback~