Chapter Thirty

The group continued about down the streets of Manhattan. Ezra watched as they made several turns, stops, and occasionally looked around for these proclaimed "outsiders". It was the spark of his confusion, he had not a clue what an outsider looked like.

His heart dropped at the sight of the destroyed buildings, the old credit cards, newspapers, the debris that rested almost everywhere, and the run down vehicles. Jay never lied about the invasion, this entire landscape was proof of that.

The group came to a slow stop at the intersection. There was a huge nine foot barrier of cars toppled over one another, and even street signs, moss was interlaced almost everywhere on each vehicle. It would be impossible to go around the barrier and make it to the other side. Ezra knitted his eyebrows together as Faith turned around to face the others.

"Bloody hell! I didn't want to climb today!" North hissed, he kicked at an old sign, several small clouds of dust gathered around his foot. Jay shot North a glare for his carelessness.

Jay turned his head at Faith. "We'd best be making a decision fast, it's not good to stand in an open area like this for too long." He spoke softly, in a hushed voice.

Faith nodded. "We'd be risking a lot if every single one of us climbed over the barrier, that'll be too much noise and we'll for sure draw some attention."

North gazed over his shoulder, "I don't want to be a pest but..." The anxiousness in his voice was urgent.

"We can split up." Faith offered. "I'm sure China is well aware of how the landscapes look by now, and Ezra could lead us to his home."

Jay raised an eyebrow. "And then what about us? Wasn't the sole purpose of us coming to help Ezra look for his brother and uncover some truth?"

"Scavenging for extra supplies would help, I've noticed that there's a decline in the food rations, I didn't agree to come out here just for Ezra's sake, I figured we could kill two birds with one stone." Faith explained rather quickly, she didn't flinch as she spoke. "It'll be less of a hassle trying to make sure everyone is silent, and I can make sure the blonde doesn't do anything stupid."

Jay glanced at China. "Are you okay with this? Brooklyn is pretty far to travel to by foot." He asked.

China eagerly nodded. "I'd be helping Ezzy and travel to a cool new place." She replied with a grin.

A worrisome look played on Jay's face, but it quickly disappeared as he turned to face North. "If you say so then." He paused and looked at Ezra, his eyes blazed into his, a warning look was displayed in them.

"I'm cool with bothering Jay." North shrugged, he made a peace sign at Ezra. "I hope you find some sort of truth to what you're looking for, man."

Ezra nodded. "Thank you."

Jay and North waited as the trio began to climb up the barrier, China was first, Ezra was second, and Faith was last. Jay looked worrisome as China stopped at the top of the barrier as Faith and Ezra continued climbing down the other side, she turned back to face Jay and North. She had that casual smile plastered on her face, the wind blew through her braids as she waved goodbye and with her short but cheerful farewell out of the way, she was gone.

--

"Well? Now what?"

Nikki had slumped over the toilet seat in the bathroom, her elbows rested on top of her knees as her hands ran into her hair. Her body convulsed with light sobs.

Tyrese, who was leaning against the door, quickly kneeled in front of Nikki, slightly getting cramped due to his backside being centimeters away from the wall behind him. He paid no mind to it, his hand ran over Nikki's knees, grazing his thumb in a comforting manner. Nikki sheepishly gazed at him for a moment, her heart warmed at his subtle effort to calm her down.

"Nikki, breathe." Tyrese urged softly.

"I can hardly take care of myself, so how can I take care of a baby?" Nikki mumbled defeatedly, the small little stick between her legs shown two pink little lines, revealing the truth of her current condition.

"Nikki, please don't think like that." Tyrese pleaded, "We're in this together remember?"

"The only reason why you hardly take care of yourself is because you take care of everyone, you've yet to take time for you, make yourself a priority." He added. "You're valuable, that is true, but it's also important to take care of yourself." He lectured.

Nikki raised her head, finally facing Tyrese. "What would I do without you?" She retorted, her voice barely a whisper.

"I love you Nikki, and no doubt, I'm going to love this kid as well. Jay will likely deny the fact that he's gushing over a baby, China would be highly ecstatic and play with them, Winter will have them listening to all kinds of music genres and be a good listener whenever we're too busy, and North will probably be leading them into mischief when they get older." Tyrese spoke of the little scenarios that they could have. Nikki bitterly smiled, as butterflies flew in her stomach.

"Not to mention, you'll be there to help them walk, talk, hell, if they have good vocals, they can sing just like you." Tyrese added with a laugh, "And I'll teach them how to read and write."

Nikki's tears had now stopped flowing down her face, a sullen smile started to creep along her face as she ran her hands over her stomach instinctively.

"Plus, you'd likely have an even sexier body...you'd be the hottest milf I'd run across." Tyrese mumbled, purposely making it loud enough for Nikki to hear.

Nikki slapped him by the shoulder, "Pervert." She grumbled with a smirk.

"You can say that," Tyrese winked.

Tyrese ran his hands through her hair, bringing her face closer to his. Nikki wrapped her arms around his neck, reciprocating his kiss.

"Now you should go take it easy, I'll handle disinfecting the hallway today." Tyrese took his hands and slid them down to her shoulders. "All those chemicals won't be good for the both of you."

"Yes Dad." Nikki snarkily responded, rising up to her feet and rushing out of the bathroom.