Opposites

|=====|=====|

TW/CW: N/A

Prompt: Opposites attract

Characters: Etho, Impulse, Xisuma

Style: Backstory

Word Count: ~910

AU: Mortuus AU

|=====|=====|

Impulse and Etho were direct opposites. Etho was a demon hybrid, two blood red horns jutted through his white hair and strange markings covered their body. However, Impulse was a pure angel, a pair of snowy wings spread from his back and a halo glowed softly from where it hovered above his head. No one ever thought they would be friends, many thought they would be enemies but considering they shouldn't be able to talk to each other anyway the two had formed an unbreakable bond over the years. They sat near the barrier between them but neither of them got very close, unsure of what would happen if either of them got close enough to touch it. It was late on the 16th October 2014 and it marked 5000 days since they began meeting. Impulse was the first to speak,
"Hey, Etho?"
"Yea?"
"Do you ever think about what would happen if we just left? Like, if we joined a server and lived like normal players."
"All the time. Why? You aren't thinking of trying, are you? They'd kill you if they caught you! It would mess up their system."
"Honestly, fuck the system! What have they ever done for anyone other than ruin people's lives. They force us to follow their stupid rules, we can't do anything Etho! I just wanna be able to enjoy my life and do what I want for once!"

Etho watched as Impulse stormed away from the barrier between the fires of the underworld and the 'saftey' of the upperworld. He didn't know why they called them that, the two sides were on the same Y level, honestly it was probably to make the angels think they were better than the various creatures of the underworld. No one could cross the barrier either. They shouldn't even be able to hear or see anyone on the other side, yet Impulse and Etho could.

Impulse vacantly gazed at the sun as it began to set on the horizon, people in the underworld would be getting ready to fight through the night, some of them protecting kids, whether they knew them or not, some not caring if they lived. He didn't have to worry about hostile mobs. They didn't spawn on this side of the barrier. Instead, you were forced to live a 'perfect' life where you couldn't do anything actually fun, or you'd be cast into the underworld. At least, that was what Impulse thought. However, he wasn't a normal angel in anyone else's eyes.

The two didn't know why they could hear and see the other side of the barrier, no one else could. It had been a secret between themselves ever since they discovered it, but they had never gotten close enough to the barrier to see if they were able to cross it or do anything else. They had slowly become friends as they realised that they were both anomalies in the society of their world. They were both tired of the society, or system as the officials called it, and they each had their own reasons.

They met at the barrier, like they had every day since they discovered their talent, both with a bag of supplies hooked on their shoulders. Neither of them had discussed this and yet they had both felt like this would be the last day they spent separated by the barrier. They stood in silence until Etho asked,
"So... Whatcha wanna do?"
"I want to try crossing the barrier."
"Are you insane! What if it kills you!?"
"You're overreacting, the worst it'll do is throw me backwards."
Etho stayed silent, knowing nothing they could say would change Impulse's mind. He watched as the angel slowly walked towards the barrier. A thousand and one things ran through his mind in that moment, what if it did do more than they thought it did? What if it killed Impulse?

Impulse closed his eyes as he took the last few steps. He opened them again to see that he was on the other side of the barrier and nothing had happened. A chuckle escaped him to break the silence that had fallen between the two. They were on the same side of the barrier. They were together.

It was a while before either of them said anything but, eventually, Etho spoke up once more,
"That went better than I expected."
"Well maybe if you weren't such a pessimist then you would have expected better than me dying."
"I can't help it, you know what they say, 'expect the worst and you'll never be disappointed'!" Impulse walked towards Etho and pulled him into a hug when there was a bright flash and a slight feeling of falling. They didn't get the messages.

[Ethoslab Perma-died]
[Impulse Perma-died]

When they came back, the two found themselves stood next to a group of around 20 other people. Some were normal players, such as a girl with blonde hair and a pair of goggles resting on her head. Others were hybrids, such as the cyborg creeper hybrid. Someone wearing a set of muted green armour and a grey helmet walked up to them. It was obvious that he was the admin of the group from the energy that came from him. He looked at them for half a second before saying,
"Welcome to Hermitcraft Season 3, my name's Xisuma, what're yours?"
"Don't tell him Etho."
"Damnit Impulse!" Xisuma chuckled at the two as they began to bicker. He didn't need to know anything else about them to know they would fit in perfectly with the craziness of the Hermits.
|=====|=====|

I hope you enjoyed this chapter, I'll see you in the next one, bye! ~Mors