7

"Your assignment will be due in three weeks

"Your assignment will be due in three weeks. Your task is to present to me, in whatever art form you like, something of God's beauty..." Mrs Fallon, the art teacher, went on to further details of the assignment.

Mrs Fallon was a short, married, middle-aged woman. Her silver, thin, rimmed glasses sat on her pointy nose. She always wore dresses that flowed around her calves and paired them with odd-coloured tights. The other day, she had a red dress with bright green tights.

The project would be due a week before Christmas break and that reminded Aurora that she would be spending Christmas at the school. Most likely alone whilst everyone else went home to their families.

Her mother, Cordelia Newton, didn't want her back. As soon as she was sent off to Australia, Cordelia wanted nothing to do with her. Even with Aurora outside of the country, she still faced embarrassment and humiliation. She couldn't wait to ship her off.

Cordelia couldn't love a daughter who slept with men the age of her father, men who were the faces of the country. Her daughter would be known as a woman who can't keep her legs closed, easy. It was bad for business but didn't someone once say that all publicity is good publicity?

Mrs Newton had made it clear that as soon as Aurora turned 18, she would be on her own. Their home was no longer hers. Even though her birthday wasn't until late January, her mother had no means of contacting her.

Aurora felt a nudge on her shoulder tearing her away from her thoughts. She looked at Maisie who placed a note in her hand.

Sleepover. Meet in Noelle's room at eleven.

+++

When Aurora arrived at Noelle's room, Maisie was already inside.

Noelle wore a sky blue camisole with matching shorts, Maisie had a light pink, cropped vest with matching shorts and Aurora wore a lilac camisole and matching shorts.

Aurora was on Noelle's bed, laid on her side, facing Maisie on the carpet, with Noelle behind her.

After conversations about life back home, holidays and that one pair who got caught getting it on in the chapel (they could've chosen a better place), the girls found themselves on the topic of Mrs Browne's assignment.

"What are you going to paint for Mrs Fallon? I'll most likely paint a newborn. They're innocent after all... unlike us," Maisie giggled on the floor.

Aurora lay her head on the pillow. "I'm not sure. I think the art of making pottery is beautiful. I might create a tea set, being British and all." She sank into the bed.

"Noelle?" Maisie asked.

Noelle's upper body remained upright beside Aurora. "I don't think Mrs Fallon would find what I find beautiful as acceptable."