Chapter 39

When I woke up, I was in my room. I looked around in confusion. I didn't remember how I got there. Last I remembered, I had been in Jared's room talking, and then he-

Oh my gosh. I'd let him mark me. I felt the shock wash through my body and I clamped a hand over my neck running over to my mirror. I saw my blue eyes wide with panic and I slowly took my hand away looking at it, closely examining my neck.

Sure enough, there were the small punctures from his teeth. The area was slightly red. I probed the area, poking it with a finger and I found that it was still slightly sore to the touch.

I cursed under my breath. I'd not only let him mark me, but it had been in a totally vulnerable and visible location.

I quickly fished through my drawers for concealer and started dabbing it over the area. It was soon covered up, as best as I could, at least. The marks were still sort of visible, but someone would have to know they were there and be looking for them.

I started messing with my hair, putting product in it and fluffing it out, using it as a curtain that would completely hide my neck.

The entire time that voice in my head was nagging. How could I let him do something like that? How could I possibly let a supernatural creature anywhere near my neck with their teeth?

Because I trust him.

That thought alone was like a bucket of water dumped on my head.

I started to calm down slightly. It was okay; I could do this. It wasn't like I'd just signed away my soul; I'd just let Jared mark me.

That voice in my head was still freaking out, but I forced her into silence and got dressed.

I started biting my nails as I looked myself over in the mirror. No, the mark was not showing. It was securely hidden under makeup and my hair, and it was going to stay that way.

Is the mark going to be visible forever? I felt the spike of fear again. How could I hide something like that for the rest of my life? Assuming no one found out about Jared.

I couldn't brush it off as a vamp attacking me and getting at my neck. For one it was unlikely that I would have walked away, and for two, well it didn't really look like a vamp bite. It was hard to describe, but something about it was just different.

Vampires were more predatory, for sport killers. Werewolves were the animalistic beasts. The mark left on me was nothing like the bite Jared had received from his Alpha, the bite that had turned him. It resembled one that would be left by a vampire, but while their marks were similar, they were also pretty distinctive, and this one was most certainly from a werewolf.

If any hunter saw it, they'd assume I'd been turned. There was no doubt about it.

With another bite at my nail I flinched and looked down at my thumb. I'd bitten all the way to the quick. A small speck of blood rose to the surface and I forced my hand down to my side.

I was nervous, anxious, and I felt extremely weird. I began to worry that maybe Jared had turned me instead of just marking me.

I paced the room and after a half hour of that went downstairs. I tiptoed around trying to keep away from my dad, if he was even home. I poured a bowl of cereal and sat down to eat it but I just couldn't. The entire time my leg was bouncing as I sat there looking at the bowl. The nervousness had taken over yet again.

When I was done pretending to eat, I peeked outside. The Jeep was there, so my dad was too. Somewhere.

"Dad, I'm going out for a bit. I'm taking the Jeep." There was silence and I thought I was going to have to go looking for him, but his voice suddenly came from right behind me.