15. the answer

Seconds after the words had left my mouth, a scream ripped through the air from another part of the house. 

The three of us shared wide-eyed looks before taking off toward the source of the noise-Emori.

Murphy led the way, running as fast as he possibly could. He knew the layout of the house better than Clarke and I, and ran the hallways with ease. 

After a few painstaking moments, we rounded the corner into the kitchen, only to find Emori in a struggle with a man holding a knife. 

"Get off of her!" Murphy yelled, picking up a cutting board and using it to strike the man across the face. 

He fell off Emori, blood flying from his lips as Murphy hit him twice more. 

I dropped down on my knees next to Emori, still gripping onto my gun as I helped her into a sitting position. "Are you okay?" 

She gave me a small nod before looking to Murphy, her eyes widening. "Wait!" she called, stopping him from delivering another hit. "He's mine."

Murphy froze, turning to look at Emori with the cutting board still raised above his head. Upon noting the look on her face, he dropped the board, lunging to stop her as she started toward the man.

"You son of a bitch!" she screamed, fury in her words as struggled against Murphy who instructed her to just leave the man.

"If we don't kill him now, he will kill us!"

I looked between her and the man, my brow furrowing slightly. "Emori, do you know him?" I questioned, her anger now making more sense. 

She didn't look at me, but kept her angry glare locked on the man. "Baylis." she spat out his name as if it were poison. 

The man pushed himself up slightly. "She's lying." he argued. "You don't know me."

"You said you'd kill me!" Emori screamed. "Well, guess what, Planhaka, I'm gonna kill you!"

The man-Baylis- shifted again, slowly rising to his knees. 

"Hey!" I snapped, training my gun on him. "Don't move."

He held his hands up in surrender, looking to the group of us. "Just let me go. I'll leave the food and you'll never have to see me again."

Clarke turned to Emori who was currently subdued by Murphy. "Is he alone?"

"Not usually." She answered before walking toward him. "Where are the others?"

Baylis backed up, his eyes clouding in anger. "I don't know who the hell you think you're--"

He was cut off as Emori drove her foot into his face, sending him sprawling out across the floor where she continued to deliver hits. 

"Emori!" Clarke snapped, breaking her from some kind of trance. 

Emori spun, gritting her teeth as she marched over to Clarke. "You don't know what he did to me."

Clarke nodded, reaching out to place a comforting hand on Emori's shoulder. "No, and you can tell me about it. But please, Emori, if he's not alone, we need to know now."

"Here, Murphy," she called, leaning around Emori. "Take my gun and tie him up."

Murphy nodded, turning to pull a wire from one of the appliances on the kitchen counter. 

"There's a medicine cabinet upstairs," Clarke explained, once again addressing Emori. "Can I fix this? Murphy and Avery won't let him go anywhere." she assured. "Will you guys?"