Chapter 44

A few months later

Ava's POV

I stood at the doorsteps as a car pulled up in the driveway. Daniel stepped out of the car and waved enthusiastically. The driver took out his luggage from the trunk as he made his way over. He picked me up and spun me around.

"Daniel!" I screamed as I started to get dizzy. He finally put me down. I slapped his chest. "Why would you do that?"

"Because I missed you, sunshine." he hugged me tightly.

I smiled. "I missed you too," I said.

"C'mon let's go inside," I said.

As we went inside, he asked, "Where is my big brooding brother?"

I shook my head. "He is attending a business call from Italy. It might take a while."

"Aw, man. Why is he working all the time? He could've taken some time off for his little brother." he said pouting.

"He has taken a lot of time off for me. Now he only attends a few calls per week and the rest of the time he is devoted to Alex and me." I said. He grinned wide.

"Look at you.... defending the love of your life," he said. I blushed.

"I'm not defending him. I have classes and then a shift at the café. So, he attends a few calls at that and also looks after Alex. Then we spent time together." I explained.

"Aww look at those cute pink cheeks," he said pinching mine. "Speaking of Alex, where is my little man?"

"There he is," I said pointing at Alex who was playing with his building blocks. Daniel ran towards him and picked him up.

"Hi, little man. I have missed you so much," he said kissing Alex all over his face. Alex giggled at the sudden attention he was receiving. I left them and went to get him some snacks.

Daniel was like a little kid. He liked mozzarella sticks, chicken nuggets, fries and how can I forget, m and ms. Our new staff member Stella helped me take everything out.

By the time I arrived Daniel was showing Alex pictures of his vacation on his phone and he was mesmerized.

"And this lady promised your uncle Daniel to call afterward but you know what she didn't. Instead, she took off with my wallet. But I told the police and they caught her immediately. Now I just only have a little dent in my heart." from the looks of it, Alex didn't understand a single word Daniel had said but he still provided me with all of his attention.

"What are you talking about?" I asked.

"Nothing. Alex and I were having a man to man conversation about girls," he said.

I picked Alex up. "My baby is too young for talking about girls," I said rolling my eyes. "It's nap time now bubba. Let's go." I said to Alex.

"Enjoy the snacks Daniel and tell Stella what you want to drink. I'll come back in a bit."

"All my favorites." he squeaked. "You know me so well. I love you."

I laughed. "Alex, say bye to uncle Daniel." he waved his little hand.

"Bye little man. Ava be back quick I have stories to tell you!." he said.

Alex went down for his nap and I came back to Daniel sipping on an orange-colored drink.

"What are you drinking?" I asked taking a fry from the plate.

"It's a mimosa. I got one for you too. Try it." he said extending my glass. I tipped the glass and drank it. It was sweet, citrusy, and a little fizzy.