Chapter One

No secret can be hidden forever. Silently and Patiently it waits in the dark as you build your life, stacking the bricks, one by one. Then it appears, causing everything to crumble but in some cases, a secret that's revealed can change your life for the better.

~

Slowly, the elevator doors slide open with a creak as I step out into the hall, my heels colliding with the soft red carpet below my feet. Wincing, I cover my eyes with my hand as they adjust to the brightness of the long hall ahead. Windows stand from floor to ceiling, each one bringing an array of light into the hall along with the lights that hang from the ceiling above me. After my eyes have adjusted once again, I hug the folder I carry tighter to my chest and begin marching down the hall at a fast pace, desperate to get inside and then out again before I see anyone.

A small baby bird has fallen from a tree outside the window, its wings not strong enough to carry its body weight back to the nest its brothers and sisters sit in. Glancing around, I notice the halls are abnormally empty, not a single soul in sight. I'm sure Tony wouldn't mind if I just helped the poor thing. I mean, it will only take a few seconds and nobody will see. Careful not to make any noise I push open the door that leads outside and place the folder in my hands on a small bench that sits underneath the small tree before I make my way over to the bird.

"Look at you poor thing," I whisper to the baby bird as I lift its frail body into my hands, cupping them as not to squash the poor bird and injure it further. Tilting its head to the side, the bird looks up at me through its black beady eyes before it hops closer and chirps lightly causing me to chuckle. "You're not going to tell on me are you?" I ask it jokingly as I look up at the other birds in the tree before reaching up to place the baby back in its nest. As soon as its feet land on the twiggy nest, the baby bird hops over to its siblings before glancing back at me and chirping as I smile widely. I rarely get to see birds anymore. Or anyone for that matter. Sighing as the smile fades from my face, I step away from the tree as I pick the folder back up and head back inside.

The cold glass doors slide shut as I step back into the hall before I lean my back against the glass and drop my head back against it, my eyes fixed on the plaster that's peeling away from the ceiling. After a few moments, I gather my courage, fix my dress and shake my hair so that it lies flat against my back before I continue down the winding corridors of the compound. Each hall is silent, the distant hum of machinery the only sound in the whole compound. Finally, I reach the doors leading to the meeting room and pause outside them, closing my eyes and taking a deep breath as I pluck up the courage to even enter. C'mon Abi, it's only Tony and he'll probably be sulking anyway. Shaking my head, I open my eyes again and put on a smile as I push open the double doors and step into the cold meeting room. Let's add that to the list of jobs Tony needs to do. Install heating in here.

"Hey Tony, we're out of..." I stop in my tracks, my eyes widening and my heart stopping as every muscle in my body freezes like a deer in headlights. Around the long table that sits in the center of the room are seven individuals, each one's eyes fixed on me as I just stare blankly back at them. "cheeseburgers." I finish as my body finally regains its ability to move. Glancing to my left, my eyes fall onto Tony, his arms crossed against his chest and he leans back in his chair. Tony leans forwards in his chair as he unfolds his arms and stares back at me, his eyes a reflection of the storm inside him. Opening my mouth, I go to say something, to come up with some excuse but quickly get interrupted as one of the other men in the room stands up, his arms resting against the table as he frowns at me.

"Who are you?" he asks curiously, his voice deep yet soft as his muscles tense up and prepare for an oncoming attack. Which of course isn't coming. I mean come on, who in their right mind would take on seven avengers without any backup? Not me, that's for certain. Biting my lip as not to say anything I shouldn't, I turn back to Tony whose head is now in his hands as he massages his temples vigorously. "Well?" hisses the man again, his blonde hair falling into his face as he stands up straighter, glancing around the room to check the rest of the team were prepared. A small redhead sits just in front of him, her eyes fixed on me as she reaches towards the gun in her hip, the other male sat in front of her doing the same.

"I am Abigail," I announce as I smile at all of them sarcastically which only causes them to become tenser than before. These people really need to meet someone other than villains and threats if they act like this around everyone. "and I come in peace." I joke sarcastically as I place the folder I'm holding down on the desk before holding my empty hands up in surrender as the redhead at the front of the table, Natasha Romanoff, chuckles and releases her gun.

As the rest of the team relax slightly, Tony glares at me, giving me a warning look that tells me not to say another word or I'll be living on the streets. Steve Rogers, the blonde who sits behind Natasha, takes a seat again as he glances back and forth between me and Tony suspiciously. Rolling my eyes, I jam the folder into Tony's chest before turning my back on the team and heading for the door only to stop in the doorway.

"Oh and one last thing," I add as I turn back around, Tony's eyes shooting up from the folder as they widen in panic, a smirk forming on my face whilst I cross my arms against my chest and stare back at him. "I'm also Tony's sister," I confess as the room goes still, each member of the team turning around to face Tony as he closes his eyes and takes a deep, fury-filled breath. Everyone except a petit woman who sits at the front of the table. Her strawberry blonde hair falls loosely around her shoulders as she stares intently at me, her head tilting slightly to the side as her blue eyes gaze into my soul.

"Tony's what?" asks Steve as he blinks rapidly and stares at Tony expectantly as he waits for some explanation from him. Tony, who is now practically laying down in the chair he sits in, just shakes his head over and over whilst muttering something inaudible under his breath.

"Sister," I repeat as I nudge my head into the space between Steve and Tony causing both of them to sit up straighter and stare at me quizzically. Looking back and forth between the two of them, I smirk sarcastically before standing up straighter myself. "I mean surely you can see the resemblance." I chuckle as I walk across the room to Tony's side and bend down until I'm at his shoulder level and then puff my chest out and pout just like Tony causing Natasha and another recruit at the back of the room to chuckle.

"Care to explain Tony?" asks Rhodey as he reaches for the jug of water that lies in the center of the table, pouring some into a glass before handing it to Tony who quickly takes it. Before anyone can even blink, Tony has drank the whole glass before he slams it back down on the table and has stood up.

"Okay, erm," Tony fumbles for words as he paces across the room and towards the window which he opens before sticking his head out, the pinkness of his cheeks returning to a more natural shade as he cools down slightly. After taking several deep breaths, Tony turns back around and scratches the back of his head as he looks at the team. "She's my younger sister."

Rolling his eyes at Tony's vague explanation, Steve slides back down into his chair as he buries his face in his palm and rubs the bridge of his nose. "How could you not tell us?" Rhodey asks as he sighs in disappointment and shakes his head at Tony who just glares at me before stepping to the end of the table and leaning against it. Looking around the room, I notice everyone's gloomy faces and the bored look in their eyes as they stare expectantly at Tony.

"He was afraid you'd like me better" I joke in an attempt to lighten the mood and entertain the team, you know stop them falling asleep. But of course, I'm unsuccessful because clearly superheroes don't have a sense of humor. Rolling my eyes at the lack of humor in the room, I drop into a chair in the corner of the room and sink into it. Maybe Tony was right and I should've just stayed out of this part of the compound.

"Oh, I like her already." chuckles Nat as she smiles warmly at me, her eyes scrunching at the corner as she glances at me over the room. Sitting up straighter, I smile back at her just as Tony turns around and shakes his head in disbelief. Holding my hands up in surrender, I look down at the floor as Tony turns back to the team, his impatience with me growing more and more with each passing second.

"I was trying to protect her." he barks harsher than he needed to at the team as I shuffle uncomfortably in my seat. My jaw locks and my muscles tense as I take deep breaths in an attempt to calm the fury inside me. I hate to admit it but Tony was right, I should've stayed away from here. Maybe then I wouldn't be slicing my hands with my own fingernails as they form fists.

"From what?" questions Steve as he and the rest of the team exchange glances, each one looking confused as Tony glances back at me through the corner of his eye, each of us preparing ourselves for our biggest secrets to start pouring out. The secrets we've fought so, so hard to keep. But I guess no secret can be hidden forever.